Just Bought an Arduino Experimentor’s Kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

Just Bought an Arduino Experimentor’s Kit

Post by Tchail »

Just picked this up from Adafruit:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/170

It’ll be fun to learn new ways of using LEDs!

:D
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
TShark

Re: Just Bought an Arduino Experimentor’s Kit

Post by TShark »

Tchail wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:43 pm Just picked this up from Adafruit:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/170

It’ll be fun to learn new ways of using LEDs!

:D
Not only LEDs, but sounds and servo motors, just to name a few. Keeping model building in mind as you learn physical computing it will really open up the possibilities of your creativity.

Adafruit's website is excellent for their tutorials and what they don't cover you will find in other YouTubes and forums. Enjoy!
TShark
brt

Post by brt »

Where do they teach coding?
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
TShark

Post by TShark »

brt wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm Where do they teach coding?
Here are a couple links just on the Adafruit site:

https://learn.adafruit.com/category/programming

https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython

Once you grasp just a few basics you can do internet searches on what you specifically want to learn. Programming YouTube's and websites abound. The best part of physical computing is that it is completely open-sourced. If you find a program that does what you want (or even gets close) it is a simple matter of cut and paste from the internet to your program app. Once your Arduino board is programmed it is easy to play with variables to see what they do and achieve the effect you desire. This is what I did with my Shadow Bussards :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aFZbrLPVJ8&t=20s

Hope this helps
TShark
brt

Post by brt »

Thanks for the links. :8)
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
Tracy White

Post by Tracy White »

One thing to keep in mind with open source and the spirit of giving and helping - it doesn't necessarily mean "free to do whateverthehell you want with it." If you come up with something neat and want to share it with others please make sure you note the requests of whomever you're using code from as they may have put something like "free as long as you credit me for this snippet." Some people think it means you can repackage it and charge money, but that's not the intent. I've hacked together stuff from several people but I always keep the credit in the code comments 'cause it doesn't cost me anything and they suuuuureeee saved me a bunch of time!
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

That's a neat website, but isn't there a more convenient place to find script dumps for common modeling needs? Like bussards--> go here. Nav lights and strobes--> click here. Battlestar Galactica landing bay chase lights---> click here. Recreating an animated Van Gogh painting looks neat, but it's basically clutter that gets in the way of me finding what I want. In the same way the SSM site provides decals modelers have designed to print out, it would be pretty nice if there were some section of the site here in which people can share Arduino scripts.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 pm In the same way the SSM site provides decals modelers have designed to print out, it would be pretty nice if there were some section of the site here in which people can share Arduino scripts.
That is an awesome idea!

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
TShark

Post by TShark »

I agree it would be nice to have that on this forum. Here is a board I go to for Sci-Fi Arduino modelling scripts:

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/i ... board=23.0

Hope this helps
TShark
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

TShark wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:01 am I agree it would be nice to have that on this forum. Here is a board I go to for Sci-Fi Arduino modelling scripts:

http://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/i ... board=23.0

Hope this helps
Thanks for the link!
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

admiralcag wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 am
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 pm In the same way the SSM site provides decals modelers have designed to print out, it would be pretty nice if there were some section of the site here in which people can share Arduino scripts.
That is an awesome idea!

Vern
I told John/OneZero about this idea in an email and he liked the idea. But having never used an Arduino, I couldn't be the first to share any scripts. I'm interested to see if anyone could share any scripts with us.
Greg
TShark

Post by TShark »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 pm
admiralcag wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:51 am
That is an awesome idea!

Vern
I told John/OneZero about this idea in an email and he liked the idea. But having never used an Arduino, I couldn't be the first to share any scripts. I'm interested to see if anyone could share any scripts with us.
I had posted in the StarTrek modelling section about my Arduino Shadow Bussards, which included the script, but it is no longer there. This script not only had the bussard effect, but included navigation lights for the TOS Enterprise. I would be happy to re-post to get things started. Just let me know where.

Tshark
TShark
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

TShark wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 amI had posted in the StarTrek modelling section about my Arduino Shadow Bussards, which included the script, but it is no longer there. This script not only had the bussard effect, but included navigation lights for the TOS Enterprise. I would be happy to re-post to get things started. Just let me know where.

Tshark
That's the spirit! I think you should contact John/OneZero directly. Either by PM or by email (onezero@aol.com).
Greg
TShark

Post by TShark »

E-mail sent and standing by for a reply.
TShark