Vallero

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Vallero

Post by jpolacchi »

Is it "vallero or Vejio?I was wondering about these paints.They are acrylic urethane paints said to be "airbrushable" strait out of the bottle(although I would thin them anyway).Are they easy to weather,do paint effects like chipping and rusting,washes...and so on?Are they compatible with other hobby paints?I don't know anything about them.I'm interested because model master is discontinuing its enamel line it seems.Scale Coat I and II arr other paints I am looking at...just trying to find a good medium with a wide range of colors.
gsb5w

Re: Vallero

Post by gsb5w »

You were close. Its spelled Vallejo. I've only got four bottles of the stuff and have never sprayed them with an airbrush.

They have a line called Vallejo Air and those are the ones premixed for the airbrush. I have two bottles for some MK VII Vipers I'm working on but have yet to use them. Lots of good info out there on them and on YouTube.

Their line of paints keeps expanding so look them up.
Tesral

Post by Tesral »

Decent paint on the brush.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames
The Mighty Ten-12 lives.
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur.
Olde Phoenix Inn http://www.oldephoenixinn.net
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Their "Air" series are sprayable right out of the bottle. Yes, easy to do chip effects, mainly because the paint is virtually solvent free and doesn't have a lot of sticking power. I never had any trouble with this paint going over other common model paints. It does have the nasty habit of drying out in the airbrush so you will need some Retarder to slow that. I also heard people use a drop of Windex to solve that problem.

The colours you can get are incredible when you take all their lines in. They are easy to thin, so if you don't see the colour you want in the "Air" series you can thin the paints in the other series down. Most of their paints are flat, but you can get a Gloss Medium to shine them up a bit. You'll never get a mirror finish, so it probably would be best to use a gloss overcoat from another manufacturer.

TazMan2000
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I imagine a laquer flat,semi or clear gloss will work fine over it.I was actually eye-balling some colors a couple days ago for a Blockade Runner project,different shade,hues of white to give it an uneven paint,weather worn appearance.The guy at the store said that when you think the Vallejo paints that they go more "matte",kind of an in between of a semi gloss and matte finish,but not a full flat finish because they are water based urethanes. For decal applications one would have to give it a good coat of gloss clear to apply decals.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

jpolacchi wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 pm Is it "vallero or Vejio?I was wondering about these paints.They are acrylic urethane paints said to be "airbrushable" strait out of the bottle(although I would thin them anyway).
I was curious to use Vallejo Air because I hear it smells like candy. But today I just got an email from a friend who said that he used Vallejo paint on his model and even after letting it set for 3 days, the paint just rubbed right off onto his finger. This is the second time I've heard from someone tell me that Vallejo paint is no good. I've never used it and it's not easy to find here in Japan. Volks is the distributor for Japan and they're doing some anime-related lines of paints. You just cannot find Vallejo paints outside of the big cities and online shops here.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I've not heard anything bad about it,perhaps you should contact the manufacturer directly.
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 pm
jpolacchi wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 pm Is it "vallero or Vejio?I was wondering about these paints.They are acrylic urethane paints said to be "airbrushable" strait out of the bottle(although I would thin them anyway).
I was curious to use Vallejo Air because I hear it smells like candy. But today I just got an email from a friend who said that he used Vallejo paint on his model and even after letting it set for 3 days, the paint just rubbed right off onto his finger. This is the second time I've heard from someone tell me that Vallejo paint is no good. I've never used it and it's not easy to find here in Japan. Volks is the distributor for Japan and they're doing some anime-related lines of paints. You just cannot find Vallejo paints outside of the big cities and online shops here.
Perhaps Vallejo paints will need to have a warning on the bottle, much like Tide Pods. :P

Yes, the paint does have adhesion issues. It is best to ensure your models have a slightly etched surface so the stuff doesn't rub off.
I have a love/hate relationship with Vallejo. They have the best colour range, they thin easily and the eyedropper bottles are great for dispensing a drop or a stream of paint. They airbrush great, and dry quickly, which, as I mentioned in a previous post, can be a problem with the dried paint gumming up the airbrush. If you're masking, I recommend the yellow brand of Frog tape. It has the least tack and will lessen the amount of peeling and chipping.

TazMan2000
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I haven't tried the Vallejo paints yet.I'm still "on the fence" about it.I haven't quite left solvent based paints yet.
Laughing Coffin

Post by Laughing Coffin »

TazMan2000 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:51 pm
Perhaps Vallejo paints will need to have a warning on the bottle, much like Tide Pods. :P

Yes, the paint does have adhesion issues. It is best to ensure your models have a slightly etched surface so the stuff doesn't rub off.
I have a love/hate relationship with Vallejo. They have the best colour range, they thin easily and the eyedropper bottles are great for dispensing a drop or a stream of paint. They airbrush great, and dry quickly, which, as I mentioned in a previous post, can be a problem with the dried paint gumming up the airbrush. If you're masking, I recommend the yellow brand of Frog tape. It has the least tack and will lessen the amount of peeling and chipping.

TazMan2000
Prime the model and Vallejo has 0 issues... it doesn't like bare/smooth plastic.
Formerly "Slide"
TazMan2000

Post by TazMan2000 »

Laughing Coffin wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 am
TazMan2000 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:51 pm

TazMan2000
Prime the model and Vallejo has 0 issues... it doesn't like bare/smooth plastic.
Exactly. But prime with something other than Vallejo. Tamiya works well.

TazMan2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've been using Vallejo pretty much since they showed up. They're great for hand brushing as they level out very nicely. It is highly recommended that you use their thinner. Water will do in a pinch but it may curdle the paint leaving you with a stringy mess. Even the Air version may need some thinning, depending on how old it is. Do not use lacquer thinner or Tamiya's thinner.

Like most any acrylic paint if the surface has any oils on it it will not stick. Handling the model on a warm day can be enough to leave a non-viable surface. Again as most acrylics, there's a large time lag between dry to the touch and fully cured.

I'm not sure what candy you eat but to me it smells like acrylic paint.

Oh and it's the primers that are polyurethane based, the rest are a water based acrylic. The primers are more for use as a base color and not to be used as a sand/fill primer.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

TazMan2000 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 am Exactly. But prime with something other than Vallejo. Tamiya works well.
That's where my friend went wrong, apparently. He used the Vallejo primer. I dunno what he used to thin it.
Greg
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I would always stick with the manufacturer's "thinner".Sometimes you can get away with using other things,but...I wouldn't do it.Artist acrylics(be it a paint or ink) are a different animal.You can thin them with distilled water(around 20%-25%) I think is the typical recommendation.Over thinning acrylics can cause other painting issues as it would with almost every other paint.In their lies the problem.As I understand it, Vallero isn't a true acrylic.They are "Acrylic Urethane's".I'm told the "airbrush colors" are sprayable right out of the bottle,but I personally would thin it some for flow, coverage and being able to lay on thinner coats to build up the color.They still seemed a little 'thick' to my eyes to airbrush strait from the bottle,plus its always good to strain your paints prior to airbrushing to remove lager particles to prevent clogging the needle or having "spraying issues".
Last edited by jpolacchi on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The new "Premium Color" line is an acrylic-polyurethane blend. Their polyurethane primers are, of course, polyurethane. The rest are acrylic based.
Abolish Alliteration
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

My friend said he used Vallejo primer and yesterday I learned that he was spraying Vallejo Air, which is pre-thinned. It came right off the model. (It's an email conversation, so proceeding slowly.) I've been tempted to try out Vallejo Air because it's said to smell like candy. That's a far cry from Gaia Notes' black primer, which smells like hell on a bad day.
Greg
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've had the same issue with their Air primer. Lacks adhesion.
Abolish Alliteration