Clear Resin bubbles

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

slookabill

Clear Resin bubbles

Post by slookabill »

Is there anyway to easily preserve or fill in clear resin and keep it clear and effective? Have one part that has tiny bubbles right in an area where I'd like to light. Thankfully there's only a handful, but they're noticeable and would likely distort the light.
robn1

Re: Clear Resin bubbles

Post by robn1 »

Is the part meant to be clear enough to see through, like a window? Or just clear enough for light to pass through? If it's just clear enough for light it may be fixable, since the hazy frosted finish will hide the repair.

A picture would help.
jpolacchi

Re: Clear Resin bubbles

Post by jpolacchi »

I second that...if you just need to "light it" with whatever light source you are using,"sand it".Are these surface bubbles or bubbles trapped more "deeply inside" the clear part?If it is something like a needing to be a clear canopy,I think you may have to live with the bubbles.I'm not sure if clear resin can be "polished out" like maybe plexiglass or clear styrene can."IF" the clear resin can be polished out,you could "feasibly" "sand it (in varrying grits of wet/dry) by sanding out the bubbles if they are trapped inside and then polishing the begeeses out of it.However,if this is not the case,you may need to make yourself a new canopy/cockpit window(s) if this is what the part is.If you cant get the bubbles out you may just have to live with the casting imperfections.