Faking cloth accessories for small figures?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CarlGo

Faking cloth accessories for small figures?

Post by CarlGo »

I have this little Imperial Officer figure that came with my 1/48 Fine Molds TIE, and I got the idea to repaint him as Krennic from Rogue One. Thing is, that means little buddy's gonna need a cape :p
What would be a good material to use on such a small figure? What's the best way to shape it and have it hold its shape? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
--Londo Mollari

"There's coffee in that nebula."
--Kathryn Janeway
kenlilly106

Re: Faking cloth accessories for small figures?

Post by kenlilly106 »

Epoxy putty, Aves is popular for this.

Roll it out thin and let it start to set so it will hold its shape, then drape it over the figure and adjust the "lay" as needed. Once it sets you can remove it and clean up any edges and paint it.
You also make it look like its flowing behind the figure by adjusting the angle of the figure so the cape hangs vertically as it sets.

Ken
phicks

Post by phicks »

I once used foil from a stick of butter to make a long coat for a 1/35 soldier. Probably foil from a (good) bottle of wine would work too.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Both of those are classic methods, and a lot easier than trying to position glue soaked tissue!
Directly above the center of the Earth.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

For my recent Legionnaires needing capes I used Future soaked tissue paper.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Besides foil, the metal in toothpaste-type tubes is good. Not today's toothpaste, they're all plastic now. But that type of tube for oil or water color paint, body putty, even those tubes of Italian stuff (pepper paste, tomato paste, pesto, etc) from the grocery store. I save all my metal tubes for potential model work.

Kev
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

I've used foil out of cigarette packs. They're thin and very malible.(sp?) And it has a small thread type of pattern on it.

The trick would be how to harden once you got it shaped like you want it. It does have a paper backing to it so Elmer's glue thinned down might soak in and do the trick. I use it to cover my seats in my cars, and for cloth in figures. Especially if I want to move joints, or change up the clothes they're in. Really good for making folds and bends in the "cloth" . so I don't know how to make it rigid by itself. Maybe some one else will have an idea.

I don't smoke but I find enough packs laying around NY local Walmart parking lot to keep me good. Plus I get to do a good service and pick up the trash. Or if you know some one that does the might save it for you.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Finn

Post by Finn »

Also some chocolate bars have very thin foil in their packaging, eat the chocolate, recycle the paper, save the foil. Or if you want some real cloth look to the material, try some of those wipes used to clean glasses and cell phones screens. Let them dry out first, use on a pattern of a cap to get the shape.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

For my build of the very first Moone flight, I had to dress a WWE fighter in clothes, making him into a Spanish adventurer. I used disposable baby wipes, which I air dried, trimmed to size, and then applied to the figure with CA glue.

Gluing fabric: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... cGlued.jpg

Figure done: http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... htSuit.jpg
________
Joe Brown
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Joseph C. Brown wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:38 am For my build of the very first Moone flight...
You interest me strangely, friend. Do you have any pictures of the finished model? :)
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

There are a few pics here, just scroll down the page:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/ ... tch_09.htm
________
Joe Brown
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Oh, yes, I remember seeing those pics back in the day. Very charming! :)