I think I broked my airbrush.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nanook177

I think I broked my airbrush.

Post by nanook177 »

I have a Paasche VL, double action airbrush. I was cleaning it about a week ago. I thought I left it soak in water (supposed to be only overnight). I left it soak for nearly a week. And it was in a mix of Simple Green and Windex, my normal airbrush cleaning solution. So I rinsed it out best I could and tried using it. It either spat paint like crazy or not at all. I cleaned it and left it soak (definitely in water this time), hoping to get rid of any remaining cleaning solution. Sigh, so any idea what did I to my airbrush? I've had it for nearly 10 years and it's had a bent trigger for nearly 5 years. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

What type of paint did you run through it??
Normal?? What is normal??
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Tamiya Arcylics and occasionally Testors Model Masters Acryls. Nothing else.
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I only use Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner or their lacquer thinner to clean out my airbrush. Did you fully disassemble it? If so, the sputtering may be due to not tightening the nozzle tight enough. I also do not merely soak it, but I use an airbrush cleaning brush. Mine is made by Tamiya, but you can use any small pipe cleaner for that, I'm sure.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Would the Simple Green and/or the Windex be enough to disintegrate the seals and gaskets?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

nanook177 wrote:Would the Simple Green and/or the Windex be enough to disintegrate the seals and gaskets?
Only if the seals & gaskets were getting old in the first place.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Andy_USA

Post by Andy_USA »

If you have had it for 10 years you would be wise to replace the seals and gaskets anyway. They tend to dry our and crack after a couple of years normal use. The first place I would look is the packing washer. If this is cracked or leaking it will often cause the splat problem you are talking about.
Please pray for America, she is still sick !!! :(
Stay Safe, Mask Up
Andy_USA :rifles:
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Don't know about seals and gaskets but you should soak the pieces in 90%rubbing alcohol as well as replacing the seals and gaskets.
Normal?? What is normal??
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Something else to consider is the possibility that the Simple Green etched the brass components. Not a big deal for most components, except the brass nozzle's aperture getting all funky and no longer circular. I've never soaked in Simple Green but I have soaked a Paasche and a Badger in Super Clean and, with the brass components, had the problem with etching and the disentegration of some of the bottles' seals ( I soaked everything, lol)

So, you may want a new nozzle too.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
duck

Post by duck »

Make sure the tip, head and needle protective cap is seated properly. I had issues with mine a while ago and bought all the replacement bits, which didn't help. While fiddling around, I reseated the tip, head and needle protective cap and it worked fine.
Burn your dead.
nanook177

Post by nanook177 »

Thank you all. I tried a lot of your suggestions, but I think I permanently killed her. :( So, I got a new one to replace her. Same type, so I don't have to get all new equipment, but brand spankin' new. In addition, I'm not a complete neophyte this time so hopefully I'll be better to this one and get more consistent results. *runs off like a little kid to play with new airbrush*
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Don't use straight Windex to clean, especially left sitting. Ammonia will etch the chrome plating off the parts and ruin the gun.
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

nanook177 wrote:Thank you all. I tried a lot of your suggestions, but I think I permanently killed her. :( So, I got a new one to replace her. Same type, so I don't have to get all new equipment, but brand spankin' new. In addition, I'm not a complete neophyte this time so hopefully I'll be better to this one and get more consistent results. *runs off like a little kid to play with new airbrush*
With Paasche you need to check the head. The head of a VL has a set of very finely drilled channels that are for the air flow. If those get clogged it will cause all kinds of issues. They can be easily cleaned out with a #80 dril bit in a pin vise and taking your time...
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert