Dragon skin vs Oomoo 30

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kenno3

Dragon skin vs Oomoo 30

Post by kenno3 »

Hi I made a mold using Oomoo 30 but a 1 mm detail ripped off, I think when I pulled the Master part out the first time. I am not sure if I did not pull the part out slow enough, or if there's too much tension on the rubber for my mold design.
Should I buy more Oomoo 30 and try again? Or should I pay more for Dragon Skin and use that? Ill have to use the mold again 6 times.

http://www.smooth-on.com/index.php?cPath=1115_1129

I was thinking of making a glove mold with Dragon skin, and letting it cure. Then pouring some spare Oomoo 30 over it to use as support material instead of plaster. I already successfully used Vaseline mixed with paint thinner on 2 parts of an Oomoo 30 mold so they didnt stick together. If I use the Vaseline on Oomoo and Dragon skin, will that also work? They are both silicone.
Thanks
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

But, and this is a biggie...are they both tin cure silicones ?

I believe that Dragon Skin is a platinum cure silicone.
As such, it will not cure against a tin cure silicone ( I believe that OooMoo is a tin cure )

If I'm wrong, and they're both tin or platinum....disregard this message and ford on !
kenno3

Post by kenno3 »

Yes you are correct. One is tin cure, the other is platinum. But I just wanted to be safe and add a Vaseline layer just in case.

But do you think the idea of using a 2 part mold, 1 part with Dragon skin (detailed- tight fit part), and the other part with Oomoo 30 (base part) is a good idea/ worth the money? I have to remake part 1 anyways since it broke. So I have to buy more rubber either way. Oomoo costs about $25 and the Dragon skin costs $30 for a little less amount.

Also does anyone know where to buy Dragon Skin in person, in Southern California? The place I bought Oomoo doesnt have it.
Thank you.
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

You will ( most likely ) have cure issues even with a barrier coat of vaseline....platinum cure silicones are very touchy that way.
kenno3

Post by kenno3 »

Oh. So do you recommend making both parts out of Dragon skin then? I havent used it so im not sure how rigid it is in block formation (ie not used as just a glove mold).
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

That would be a safer approach.
The dragon skin is pretty floppy...it was designed for animatronics skin...but, if you make the blocks of silicone kinda large...there should be few issues.
You will have to be careful when clamping the mold halves together....the silicone will be quite easy to distort.

Also, you may be able to firm up the silicone a bit by heating it for a half hour to an hour in a low temp. oven.