Best way to create 'soft' camo lines

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jm72

Best way to create 'soft' camo lines

Post by jm72 »

Hello, after my second 8-year hiatus, I am getting back into modeling. I last built a model in 2003, then 1995 prior to that.

This site has been an amazing resource from the topics I have read so far, so thanks for that.

My question is to how best create 'soft' camo lines that don't have a solid, defined edge that looks just like it was masked. Is it best to airbrush and concentrate on the center and less on the edges or gently blend using a brush?

Many thanks, I am sure I will have other newbie questions.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

The easiest thing is to actually mask it. Soft camo is very easy to do, just use Blutak or the generic equivalent. You'll find it at any office supply place with the tape and such. It's used to hang posters, and it's a bit like Silly Putty. Roll it into thin strips, mask, and fill with tape.
Wug

Post by Wug »

There is no best. It depends on the effect you want to create, the scale and the techniques you like.

1. Shoot it freehand with an airbrush.
2. Shoot it with an airbrush and a handheld mask.
3. Mask with Blutak or Silly Putty as Harry Joy suggests.
4. Mask with your favorite tape and roll the edges of the tape.
5. Mask with paper and use tape or Blutak to hold the mask away from the surface of the model.
6. Mask with Parafilm and roll the edges.

Increasing the amount of roll or the distance between the mask and the model increases the softness of the edge of the camo.

HTH

Mike
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Here's a couple demonstrations of the poster tack method (scroll down a bit):

http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/t2/ ... m#31102010

http://www.scalespot.com/onthebench/f16 ... m#18042009

I personally think it's one of the better techniques for having an in-scale soft edge. Some of the other ways result in a spray pattern that would be absolutely enormous if done in the real world.

-Rog
jm72

Post by jm72 »

Thanks for the replies, that is exactly the info I was looking for.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Be careful if you use the stand-off method, airbrush perpendicular to the mask. You can get a doubling effect if you're not careful.

Another way is to hard-mask then come back over with a fine-line airbrush and "fuzz up" the edges.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati