Future floor polish's sheen? Advice needed?!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

crowe-t

Future floor polish's sheen? Advice needed?!

Post by crowe-t »

I applied Future for the 1st time. It seemed to spray perfectly through my Paasche VLS airbrush.

It looks glossy but not like a sheet of glass.

Is this how it should look?

Should I have thinned it?

If I need to clean it off and start over, will Windex clean it off?

I used Testors MM Acryl paint and would rather use Windex if I have to clean the Future off since Windex doesn't have an effect on Acryl paint.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Nope, shouldn't look like a sheet of glass. It's just a very nice gloss coat. No, you don't need to thin it. I don't, but I know one fellow who does. Most don't. Yes, Windex will take it off, but it will take the underlying paint, too.

Sounds like you did it right.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Thanks Harry! It almost looks like a very fine 'orange' peel in a few spots but not too severe.

I just want to make sure the decals set down correctly.

I'm not worried about removing the underlying paint since I used Testors Acryl. You could soak a part painted with Acryl in Windex for a week and the paint won't budge.
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

Any orange peel means you laid it on a little too thick. It's best to just let that be, if it's in a manageable area. Trying to fix it could make it worse. Or... wait for it to dry entirely, a day or so, then hit that area with one more light, light coat.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

So I shouldn't clean it all off and start over?
Harry Joy

Post by Harry Joy »

No, I wouldn't, not unless it's a real disaster. If you go to strip the Future, like I said, you'll end up having to do a total repaint. Total. Unless the orange peel is really bad, it's best to just live and learn, and maybe try a light coat over it tomorrow.