I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

More the reason to buy quality CA like Mercury Adhesives or the rubber impregnated Gorilla CA.
Abolish Alliteration
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

The crap they sell at Hobby Lobby is the worst. :x
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I favor the Walmart four-pack of black tubed CA. It is cheap and has nice hold. I've been scratchbuilding a Tholian cruiser and it's held very well. It does need a bit of drying time, but what glue doesn't?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote:I favor the Walmart four-pack of black tubed CA. It is cheap and has nice hold. I've been scratchbuilding a Tholian cruiser and it's held very well. It does need a bit of drying time, but what glue doesn't?
They used to sell those in a six pack... but- something about their packaging was low quality, the stuff I got from them seemed good, but the last tubes I opened where gooey, and soon hardened from exposure. So I reverted to the Dollar Store little three packs, that stuff is always good. ALL my stuff goes together with SuperGlue brand, and I think that the reason it holds for me so well is that the styrene and extruded PCV + Polyester resin putty that I use, are all really alkaline in nature, so the glue takes to them really well.

The PVC is so porous and easy to bond, its a bit like skin that way, unfortunately, its so much so that if I don't get the parts together within a few seconds, the PVC will cure hard and I'll have to sand it away and start over.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy