Paasche AB sprayers - what kind of paints do you use?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

esperman

Paasche AB sprayers - what kind of paints do you use?

Post by esperman »

Recently upgraded to an AB (never used before).
Most of my kits I'm planning to assemble are aircraft or spaceship. What types of paints would you recommend? Enamel, Acrylic or lacquers?
Thanks for any suggestions & opinions.
shotgunlebowski

Post by shotgunlebowski »

I used Tamiya Acrylics when I had my Paasche Airbrush. The trick is to get the paint thinned enough to spray. Really my best advice is to find the kit you least care about and use that as a learning experience. Oh and make sure you buy a good respirator most paints atomised are not good for your lungs.
esperman

Post by esperman »

Thanks for the info.
I do plan on building a paint booth before really getting into it.
My son has some broken RC cars - those are to be my guinea pigs LOL
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

http://www.zizolfo.com/family/john/mode ... booth.html

Cheap and easy spray booth. Another board member on here, Pat Amaral, did it with a clear container and put a small fluorescent fixture on top to light the interior work area.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by PetarB »

I used my 2 Paasches mainly to shoot thinned Tamiya acrylic. I used alcohol to thin it down. They worked very nicely, although they were a bit touchy if they weren't cleaned regularly. From time to time I also used lacquers.
I've changed to a different brand of airbrush now, but the Paasches worked for me for over 10 years! Just make sure you have a few spare needles...
esperman

Post by esperman »

PetarB wrote:I used my 2 Paasches mainly to shoot thinned Tamiya acrylic. I used alcohol to thin it down. They worked very nicely, although they were a bit touchy if they weren't cleaned regularly. From time to time I also used lacquers.
I've changed to a different brand of airbrush now, but the Paasches worked for me for over 10 years! Just make sure you have a few spare needles...
Thanx for the tip :)
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I've used a Paasche VL airbrush for the past 5-6 years. I mostly spray enamels, ocassionally lacquers. The key is thinning the paint to the consistency of milk and keeping the air pressure between 15-20 psi. I also run mineral spirits to clean up after enamels or lacquer thinner for lacquers. I also disassemble and clean after each session so have rarely had any issues with clogging. This takes me between 5-10 minutes to do once you get practiced at it.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"