Retardants for enamel paint

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Retardants for enamel paint

Post by Callandor »

I have a bottle of paint that is drying faster than normal making it a pain to pant with. I heard somewhere that you can get some retardants to make paint dry slower. Anyone have a link?
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I usually just mix a little thinner in the bottle. Sorry, I've never heard of paint retardant.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Enamel really sucks sometimes for trying to get it to behave properly. At least with acrylics there's a hundred different household things you can dump into it...

The only retarder for enamels I know of is made by Floquil:

http://shop.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... R&I=LXG068

Should work with any enamels. A little dab will do you.

-Rog
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

Usually I add a few drops of thinner when I finish painting. this replaces the amount that evaporates when the bottle is open. I also add thinner as soon as I notice the paint is getting thicker in the bottle. Adding thinner really saves money since the bottles don't dry out
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Are you using a paintbrush or airbrush? I would add a bit of linseed oil to a bit of paint on a pallet. Linseed oil is a glossy, slow drying oil that helps oil based paints dry more slowly, giving you more time to blend and "work" the paint. You can get small bottles at arts and craft stores, or large cans at a good hardware store; Lowe's and Home Depot carry it.
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

Scanam2006 wrote:Usually I add a few drops of thinner when I finish painting. this replaces the amount that evaporates when the bottle is open. I also add thinner as soon as I notice the paint is getting thicker in the bottle. Adding thinner really saves money since the bottles don't dry out
Really? I'd heard that enamel thinner can actually catalyze the enamel's curing process...
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

I am having issues with some enamel paint that I am brushing on. It dries withing 5-10 seconds so if I hit that area with a brush again, I get gummy clumps and bad smears. It is just a specific bottle of paint. It may be old or a bad batch. I considered buying a new bottle, but I would like to salvage the bottle I have since model paints are a bit pricey.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Testors has an enamel retarder in their Floquil line. Its description is "Used to slow the dry time of Floquil Enamel paints" but is should work for any brand of enamel (NOT lacquer).

http://www.glidescoperc.com/f110002-retarder-1-oz.html
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... XG068&P=FR

I have a tin of enamel retarder left over from some litho screen printing I did a few years ago; I'm sure it would probably work with enamel hobby paint but I've never actually tried it. Hobby Lobby sells Grumbacher Poppy Seed Oil to retard the drying time of some oil paints, too.