vacuform mold material?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

vacuform mold material?

Post by raser13 »

hey guys, i was wondering what do you make the female molds out of for your vacuform parts? i use the two part mold mix that you knead together that kind of sets up like rubber to make my molds to do resin copies in. but i don't think that if i used it for vacuforming that it would not compact down and distort under the pressure. so i' hopping that you could tell me if it will hold up or what i should use instead? and also how do you get the plastic to vacumme into the small details? thanks for any info.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I have a question: Does it have to be a female mold?

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

You could use: resin, Aves, or Sculpey, anythnig hard, really...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i think so? :-k :-k what i'm trying to do is make a copy of a modified star trek tmp era bridge module in clear. so i can do something like this with it.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... 000095.jpg

so i would assume that i would need a female mold to get all of the detail on the outside of the bridge area. btw how would i get the plastic to conform to the inside of the, for lack of better terms, female hole? would i have to drill a small hole in it somewhere so it would vac into all of the details?
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Having just recently developed a tool for vac-forming a large panel for a job I'm running...I'll share my lessons learned.

First..anything you use to make a tool needs to withstand a minimum of 280 degrees F.
I tried 'Fix-It' from Aves Studio....a real nice material to work with...but, it softened under the high temps ( sorry Aves...just my experiance )

Then I tried Ultracal...a concrete reenforced plaster...Super Strong stuff....didn't work...corners chipped off under pressure.

Then I was led to the perfect material..... ProCast...from Freeman's Supply. A metal filled Epoxy that pours like water...sets in 30 Min. to a ROCK HARD tool. Perfect material ! Not cheap though...$100.00 for 1 1/2 gallon kit. This tool should last for years.

Now, your other question... typically, tiny holes are drilled through the tool to create suction at all the detail spots...really small holes...like .015"
or smaller.

Keep in mind...with a female mold, you really have to consider undercuts...mold traps that will make it very difficult to remove your master.

Not sayin' that any of this will be of any help to you...I'm just sharing my recent experiance with Vac-Forming tools.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

that's what i'm needing modelnuts. unfortunately the procast is waaaaaaaay out of my league, so i'll have to find a substitute for that. seems like i'll have to experiment with the hole drilling to get it right. i've thought of using j.b.weld to make the mold, we'll have to see. i think that i've seen the sculpey stuff at hobby lobby so i might check it out as well. thank you for all the info this should have me on my way. one last question and then i'll let you all go. would clear soda bottles work well for a source of clear plastic or will i need something better?