Good finishing technique on an opaque canopy?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

wraith1701

Good finishing technique on an opaque canopy?

Post by wraith1701 »

After a quick search, I couldn't find a related thread, so forgive me if I'm double posting. If anyone knows of a related thread, feel free to point me to it.

I'm working on a 1/144 scale spacecraft model. Due to the small size, the cockpit canopy is cast in solid resin. I'm trying to determine how best to give the canopy a realistic appearance. Some ideas I've had include painting it flat white, shading it, & covering with a gloss coat. Another idea is using bare metal foil on the 'glass' portions, then covering them with future.

I'm not yet secure enough in my model-fu to try scratching a clear canopy on such a small scale, so I'm hoping someone with experience on this topic can point me in the right direction...
-Eric
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Hmmmm...

What about painting it gloss black and airbrushing some 'glints' in white on it?

Ken
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Or he could paint it black from the inside.
Normal?? What is normal??
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

irishtrek wrote:Or he could paint it black from the inside.
I think the canopy in question is cast in opaque resin :P

The original version of the Monogram Viper presents the same problem; I painted the windows glossy black and then airbrushed some very dark gray around the borders. The gray breaks up the "all black" look but still looks a little daffy to me; it still looks like black-painted windows.
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm stopping by the hobby shop in the morning & seeing if they have a clear resin that will cure bubble-free without needing some type of vacuum chamber. If I can track some down, I think I'll try casting a copy of the canopy.
-Eric
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I built a Spacemam Marine figure (from Space Above & Beyond). The head was solid so I needed to get the visor to look real (sorry no pics, so don't bleat!). This is what I did...

Painted the whole visor gloss white. Then sprayed a central patch of midnight blue with some black added to it - I left the edge of the patch feathered. Then I applied layer after layer of Tamiya smoke (probably at least six coats) over the whole visor. Then a final coat of gloss varnish.

I don't know how well this will work on a smaller scale, but the result on a big kit was pretty cool.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

Great idea! I'm going to give it a try! Thanks! :8)
-Eric
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Joseph Osborn wrote:
irishtrek wrote:Or he could paint it black from the inside.
I think the canopy in question is cast in opaque resin :P

The original version of the Monogram Viper presents the same problem; I painted the windows glossy black and then airbrushed some very dark gray around the borders. The gray breaks up the "all black" look but still looks a little daffy to me; it still looks like black-painted windows.
Oops!!! :oops: :oops:
Normal?? What is normal??
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Is it a bubble canopy, (like on an A-wing or an F-16), or a greenhouse canopy, (like on an X-wing or a B-24) ?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Is it a bubble canopy, (like on an A-wing or an F-16), or a greenhouse canopy, (like on an X-wing or a B-24) ?
It's like the canopy of a markII BSG Viper. EXACTLY like it in fact.
-Eric
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

Idea for you to try, heat and smash:

Get some clear plastic from a package like the front panel of a toy package or something. cut out as large a section square as you can. Put the opaque canopy on a wooden dowel, with some clay to hold it, and chuck the dowel in a vice. Now, put the clear plastic you cut out in an oven at about 300 for a few minutes, until it begins to sag. Using oven mitts, remove it, and pull it down over the opaque canopy. After it cools, remove it, cut out and glue using CA glue.