Cold Solder/ Conductive epoxy recommendation?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Cold Solder/ Conductive epoxy recommendation?

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

I am bashing an LED flashlight into some lighting for a project. I need to connect some wires to an existing solder joint on a circuit board. Can anyone recommend a cold solder or conductive epoxy, or other means by which I may do this? Can't hot solder it-too close to other components.

Thanks!

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Wire Glue is intended for just that, but mileage varies.

There's also conductive epoxy but it tends to be absurdly expensive for the quantity sold.

Cheers,

JM
TheIrishAvenger

Yeah, I saw that stuff. Reviews looked iffy on it, so I wasn't sure. Then again, it is pretty cheap, so maybe worth a try.
I picked up one of those rear defroster grid repair kits from the auto place today. Tried it out on a scrap circuit board. Results are pending. We'll see I guess. Thanks for the link!

Chris
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Chris,

Auto-part stores sold conductive glues for repairing rear window defrosters. I think there were two-part conductive glues that were probably epoxies and single tube glues. I haven't seen any in a while but I haven't looked. The next time you're near an auto-part store it might be worth checking.

Mike
TheIrishAvenger

Thanks Mike!

I stopped at one parts store and found the one kit as mentioned above ^^^. I'm experimenting with it right now, and I may drop by some other stores to see what they have. I'm gonna order some of that wire glue too, in case the defroster repair stuff doesn't pan out.

If anybody else has ideas, feel free to chime in! Thanks for your help, guys!

Chris
TheIrishAvenger

Well, good news and bad news. Bad news is the auto defroster repair kit didn't work. BUT, since I had a spare flashlight anyway from which I could rob another set of LED's if I needed to, I fired up the soldering iron after finding my fine tip for it. Soldered on the wires and it worked like a charm! So I should be able to mount these today. Whew!

Thanks again for your help guys.

Chris