What are some good clamps for odd shaped models?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

What are some good clamps for odd shaped models?

Post by Callandor »

I am looking to pick up some clamps (currently I only have clothes pins and some cheap dollar store clamps), however I need some clamps that will work well for odd shaped models. A problem I have had in the past is trying to glue rounded pieces together. There is often not enough flat surface area for clothes pins or cheap clamps to grip on to.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Wouldn't scotch tape or rubber bands do? No, seriously!
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I use rubber bands for round shapes. For really small round pieces (like 1:72 missiles) I use the tiny rubber bands they use for braces for teeth.

Also, I just bought some long tweezers, heated them up with a lighter, and bent them into the shape I need for small clamps like the missiles stated above.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

Rubber bands are bad for me. I only have one hand so it is difficult for me to stretch them out to get it around the piece I am gluing. I have used scotch tape, but if you are not careful, it can take off the paint/finish.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
Interociter

Post by Interociter »

Look through here clamp-o-rama. I have the restorers clamps and find they work on a lot of shapes, but don't have a huge amount of clamping force.
Mark Burakoff
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

For round objects you could use a hose clamp.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3164/289 ... f6d3_o.jpg
Tighten it down with a screwdriver. You could stick tape to the inner surface to minimize abrasions and provide more traction; not to big an issue if the parts are unpainted.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
davidlgreen

velcro

Post by davidlgreen »

hows 'bout some them velcro straps?
not enough LDS

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on whats for dinner
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi Callandor,

It depends on what you're clamping.

Over a decade ago, I bought some Berna clamps when they were on sale.

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/mi ... berna.html

Their unique design lets you precisely control the clamping force. They're perfect for some applications and completely wrong for others. On some shapes the jaws rotate relative to each other and they fall off.

You can make your own clamps. Rubber bands are the simplest but you'll probably want to keep the rubber band off the glue seam.

You can clamp parts between bamboo skewers tensioned with rubber bands.

You can make a clamp from PVC pipe. Cut a segment from thin-walled PVC pipe. Cut a slit in the segment. If you need less clamping force make the slit bigger. If you're worried about scratching the part, hot-glue rubber to the to the faces.

If you use a faster glue, Tenax or CA, you might not need to clamp.

Mike
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

yeah man, tweezers, and those clamps that look like scissors......I've got a stash of them in my modeling tools box. I got them all for free from the doctors after they stich me up when I cut my self( I'm a machinist/mold maker and scars cover my hands like a fine silk cloth...hehe). I like doctors waiting rooms........I tend to find all kinds of usuful modeling tools.
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

marcus0311 wrote:those clamps that look like scissors.
I believe those are called hemostats, which can usually be gotten through medical supply stores and websites. You know, if you don't want to cut yourself to get them for free. :wink:

-Rog
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Sandbags have worked for me for some parts. Just fill a ziploc with sand and drop it on top. Layer the parts between two sandbags for more even clamping. The drawback is it's hard to see if (or when) the parts slip out of alignment.
marcus0311

Post by marcus0311 »

Hehehe. If I didn't cut myself I wouldn't get to play with all the cool stuff in the exam rooms......... :wink:
THE SECRET TO VICTORY...IS THE VIOLENT PATH TO PEACE-Scorpius(Farscape,Peacekeeper Wars).
I WANT ALL GUNCAPTAINS TO FIRE TILL THEY'RE OUT OF AMMO...THEN I WANT THEM START THROWING ROCKS! (Adama,BSG finale).

"COME ON YOU SONS OF BITCHES!DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOR EVER?"(GunnerySergeant Dan Daly-Battle of Belleau Wood-WWI)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

These things may not be as delicate as they should be but they are simple to use single-handedly.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool