Ork Hova Tank - Finished! With Pics!!!

The challenge: build any kind of hover tank without using a tank kit's hull or turret - because nothing saus 'fun' like 70 tons of floating mayhem.

Moderator: Moderators

Butters

Ork Hova Tank - Finished! With Pics!!!

Post by Butters »

Well, I finally got off my duff and decided to start my own. Lately, I've been into Warhammer 40k's Orks, even though I don't play! They're just so much fun to build! Anyhow, most of the other designs I've been seeing are futuristic, high-tech designs and I thought I'd pitch one that's just a bit anachronistic, given that it's genre is placed 40,000 years from now.

It's a plain ole air cushion lift vehicle, but powered by two, obscenely, powerful engines 'liberated' from somewhere. Not all of the horsepower is directed to thrust however, nearly 60% of the engines power feed the four powerful fans under the vehicle. This massive use of energy is due to the signifigant weight of the vehicle. Ork meks just don't build with conscience regard for weight management.

Another important factor in the design, building and operation of the tank, and one that Orks are completely unaware of, is that Orks - as a species - possess a high level of psychic ability. This means that alot of their equipment works, simply because they want it too. An example of this is the common Ork belief that "red wunz goes fasta", this is true because Orks believe it to be true.

This particular hover tank, or "hova-tank" carries a rapid firing, multi-barrel 90mm cannon. While 90mm is small by Ork standards, this 'light' cannon makes up for it with a rate of fire of one round a second. Firing armor piercing-incendiary-high explosive shells, the cannon is quite suitable for infantry support and use against enemy recon elements. Even against enemy tanks, the cannon has been known to damage tracks, antenne, optics and hatches.

Like most other Ork vehicles, it will also sport several 'big shootas', improvised rockets and 'flamas'. One innovative feature of this tank will also be a Grot observation platform. Occassionally there is a need to see what is over the ridge/hedge, or rubble and so a (usually unwilling) Grot will be strapped into the lift to be hoisted above the obstruction to report on enemy positions. On other similarly equipped vehicles, this also serves to draw enemy fire thus alerting the commander to the enemys position. As the hysterically screaming Grot is usually considered to be somewhat unreliable, this is seen as a more accurate method of enemy detection.
Last edited by Butters on Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is a solution to every problem. Sometimes it's just C4.

Fine. I got an Avatar. Happy?
Halanar_D

Post by Halanar_D »

Don't forget to put TONS of smoke pouring out the back of those rokkits.
"There must be some kind of way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan--

"All Along The Watchtower," 1965
<a href="http://www.scalemodeladdict.com">
"Visit Scale Model Addict"</a>
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Yeah, Orks are fun because you can always say "it's supposed to look like that" if you make a mistake. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Sean Patten's Gorka Morka work, and his Ork minis (which include lots of vehicles he scratch built). He's definitely the master of making things look chunky and heavy, which is the Orkish way. :D

-Rog
Butters

Post by Butters »

Rogviler wrote:Yeah, Orks are fun because you can always say "it's supposed to look like that" if you make a mistake. :)

If you haven't already, be sure to check out Sean Patten's Gorka Morka work, and his Ork minis (which include lots of vehicles he scratch built). He's definitely the master of making things look chunky and heavy, which is the Orkish way. :D

-Rog
Oh, yeah, I have his stuff bookmarked! Lot's of fun stuff there.

It's a bit more rounded in the front than you normally see on Ork vehicles, but this is the rounded look I'm going for:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... mmer15.jpg

Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

Orks, ya gotta luv 'em! :D

Can't wait to see where you go with this, Butters.
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Its gonna need lotsa spikey bits. :D Looking good so far, B.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Butters

Post by Butters »

Spent some time tonight working out the turret and forward hull. It's sort of looking like one of those, odd, Civil War river gunboat things. Giant round turret lots of flat plates and angels. I'll get some pics up later, but just wanted to add a bit here.

Butters

Post by Butters »

okay, here's a pic of tonights progress:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0256.jpg

Butters

Post by Butters »

Here's abit more of the turret, with Grot 'observation platform' :D ! Also showing gun placement and the start of the ammo box.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0261.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0262.jpg

Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

Ooh! :8)
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Butters

Post by Butters »

Did a lot of detail work of the main gun last night (none tonight as I have to be up with the dawn patrol tommorrow). It now looks like a very big 'shoota', with lots of little doohickies and aiming recticals and such. Pics to follow.... probably tommorrow night. I just don't have it in me tonight. Sorry guys.

Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

WAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. It needed to be said. Looking really good, man.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Dwight D. Maxwell

Post by Dwight D. Maxwell »

Oh my... :scared:
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh, that's why!
Hide the vodka!
Butters

Post by Butters »

Well, got the gun detailed and mounted. That's good cuz it means the interior layout is done and that was hanging me up a bit. So, here's the latest. Everything in it's final layout.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0269.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0270.jpg

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Very nice, Butters - very nice. :) I doubt the gunner or "radar" would survive for very long, but then - Orcs.

I presume there'll be the normal Orc accessories - red paint, sharp-pointies, patches, large rivets, etc?
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Halanar_D

Post by Halanar_D »

Definitely has Ork potential.
Still WAYYYYY too clean right now, but definitely has potential.
--Bob Dylan--

Butters

Post by Butters »

Scotaidh wrote:Very nice, Butters - very nice. :) I doubt the gunner or "radar" would survive for very long, but then - Orcs.
Yeah, Orks! :D Grots serve as slaves, secure footing, emergency rations, etc. so, yep, they'd be perfect enemy detectors, even if all they do is scream in terror and quickly get splattered across the hull. Plus, they're expendable and easily replaceable!
Scotaidh wrote:I presume there'll be the normal Orc accessories - red paint, sharp-pointies, patches, large rivets, etc?
Oh, definitly! Else what's the point? I started abit last night on laying some hull details, but I'm still trying to descide on the exact layout of the forward hull and where the drivers hatch, viewports, shoota, etc are going to go.

Butters

Post by Butters »

Added my forward big shootas, viewports and drivers hatch last night. Just a little too much going on this weekend to add pictures so soon, however. Soon my lovelies... soon.

Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

Extremely Snorkelly.. great build
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Butters

Post by Butters »

Had another good go at it tonight; got the front end finished, I think, glued all the major turret components in place and did some general detailing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0286.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/ ... CF0287.jpg

The shootas in the front are all on balls and do have travel, as does the main gun. Long way to go. (sigh)

Halanar_D

Post by Halanar_D »

Nice progress.
--Bob Dylan--

Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

NOW you're getting Orky. Very nice :)

Where did the shells for the big gun come from? I'm going to be extremely jealous if you turned those on a tiny lathe...

-Rog
Butters

Post by Butters »

Rogviler wrote:NOW you're getting Orky. Very nice :)

Where did the shells for the big gun come from? I'm going to be extremely jealous if you turned those on a tiny lathe...

-Rog
I turned them on a tiny lathe. :D I have an old 6" Dremel lathe that's perfect for this kind of work. After the first one, I thought about casting more, but, being an Ork gun/vehicle it made more sense if no two shells are exactly alike! That just seems like something Orks would do! And having them 'feed' out of and ammo stowage box kept me from having to turn more of the little buggers!

Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Butters wrote:I turned them on a tiny lathe. :D
You've officially made me sick.

But that's awesome! :D

So I take it pretty much everything on there is custom made?

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

More Butters! More!
Abolish Alliteration
Buzzbomb

Post by Buzzbomb »

All it needs now is a boarding ramp :D

Seriously nice work here
It's not a toy!.... it's an accurate scale representation of a craft that doesn't actually exist.
Butters

Post by Butters »

Rogviler wrote: So I take it pretty much everything on there is custom made?
Well, the hatch, gun detailing and rocket body are mostly Games Workshop findings from the local gamer shop bitz box. The engines are obvious and came from a second-hand toy store and the rest is urethane foam, .020 and .040 styrene, drainage parts (turret), cash register tape spools, and Evergreen textured sheets, rods and strips.

I do have a few Grandtline bolts, but the rivets are small diameter rod, cut short, glued on and then 'mushroomed' using matches. The larger 'bolt heads' are plastruct hexagonal rod ordered from a local train place. As I go, I'm sure I'll be raiding the parts box for alot more doo-dads!
Buzzbomb wrote:All it needs now is a boarding ramp :D
Stay tuned. :D

Butters

Post by Butters »

Well, lot's of progress,but no pictures. :( My camera needs new batteries. The turrets been detailed; lot's of paneling/plateing around the sides; cranks and gears added to the Grot observation well; rivets and bolts added; plateing between engines added; lower hull coated in Aves, sanded, and scribed.

Still, long way to go. I'm very happy to have that lower hull nearly finished. That was causing me a lot of grief and headscratching as to how I was going to finish it. (whew!)

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Butters wrote: <snip>

Still, long way to go. I'm very happy to have that lower hull nearly finished. That was causing me a lot of grief and headscratching as to how I was going to finish it. (whew!)
I feel your pain ... I had quite a bit of that during my build. :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Butters

Post by Butters »

Still no batteries. I'm sorry. Truly, I shouldn't even post if I don't have pics, I know that, truly I do. :oops:

Anywhoo, this has been a constructive week, tank-wise. The blessed Aves has made all the difference!! [-o< The lower hull is scribed and somewhat detailed, though it needs more; I've been scanning the interweb for inspiration and have a few ideas. I finally got around to adding some 'pointy-bitz' but I've come upon a startling realization: I build a little too neat for normal Orkiness! :shock: According to the interweb, it should be a bitmore 'ramshackle'! :shock: Ugh, how the h--- am I gonna do that?!

I also stripped off the Aves Paste from the air skirt. PAH! Aves Paste! I shall not spaek of it's ilk again! Foul concoction! Most foul, most iky! I have replaced it with the blessed Aves Sculpt ( :please: ) and shall be sanding it to a glassy smoothness soon.

Stay tuned, pics to come soon....