How much Fiber and other supplies to order

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

slookabill

How much Fiber and other supplies to order

Post by slookabill »

I'm about to embark on learning to light numerous models. I was wondering what some suggestions for how much in terms of supplies to order/buy. I'm planning on lighting: Acclamator, Nebulon-B, Gonk, Starship of David, and numerous other kits. I was looking on the fiber optic store and was thinking about getting some of their combo/sales listings, the 1500ft of .25 Fiber, Combo pack of 4 Sideglow fiber, and the SW50 combo pack. Is this a reasonable listing of what should be ordered or should I get more/less of various things or at a different retailer?
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Re: How much Fiber and other supplies to order

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

The Gonk and Nebulon B are resin kits, aren't they? I'm not familiar with the others. Unless they have hollow insides, I don't think they'll be able to be lighted.

As for fiber, I bought some from Amazon. They were like 10 strands of about 2 feet each or so. I wouldn't go all out for 1500 feet if you are just starting this sort of thing.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
SpaceRanger1

Re: How much Fiber and other supplies to order

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

My doctor tells me how much fiber I need. :D
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark