How to attach fiber optics to an LED?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

How to attach fiber optics to an LED?

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

So what is the best way to attach fiber optics to an LED? I've never done this before.

I would think that binding the fibers together into a bundle with some heat shrink tubing or something, cutting them flush with each other and encapsulating them into a plastic straw or something and sticking an LED into the other end would be best. Then to seal it all, lock it all together with epoxy glue or something. How do you guys do it? Could I flood the inside of the straw with a glue gun's glue to trap the fibers into place, and then use epoxy putty to surround the area and bind it all together?
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

I want to know too!

Usually I line last 8mm of the fibre ends with white glue and then push it onto the hole.

Fibre optics now are usually plastic and so, hot-melt glues and heat-shrinks are a no-no.
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

I just found this site:
www.instructables.com/id/How-to-attach- ... to-an-LED/
It says that using a hot glue gun is fine. The stuff melts at a much lower temperature than any fiber optic will, I imagine.

What you can do (and I've tested this myself) is using a lighter to burn the tips of fibers to give them a bit of a mushroom effect, which will refract the light across a wider area.

A friend of mine recommended filing the 5mm LED's top surface flat so that the light won't be focused towards the center of the bulb.

I'm working on lighting up several ships from the MPC Hoth Rebel Base diorama set: the Rebel Transport (3mm LEDs), the Millenium Falcon (LED tape), and 2 X-Wings (fiber optics).

For the X-Wings, I first got some 5mm fiber optics but they are too small. So I got some 7.5mm and they look better. What I will do is drill 8mm holes into the two X-Wings' thrusters. I'll mushroom the ends and pull them into the X-Wings. Then the 8 fiber optics (4 for each X-Wing) will be attached to an LED dipped in Tamiya Clear Red underneath the base. I hope it works!

EDIT:
I found this site that talks about using heat shrink tubing:
http://thefiberopticstore.com/faq/how-d ... to-an-led/
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"