Measuring out paint ratios

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Cydonia

Measuring out paint ratios

Post by Cydonia »

The current Kotobukiya styrene kit l am working on calls for a number of paint mixtures with a variety of ratios. Example: 95% white, 3% neutral grey and 2% red brown. I will be airbrushing this acrylic mix on the kit. Problem is; how do you accurately portion out these amounts?

My first thought would be to drip out 95 drops of white, three drops of grey and two of the red brown. However this is a long and boring process, doubly so if you need a large amount of the mix.

Second would be simply a guess-and-bygosh method--pour out an amount of white and then estimate what amounts of the other two colors are the right proportions. This smacks of being highly inaccurate and a rather sloppy way of doing this.

Is there another way--a quicker/easier way-- to pour out correct paint proportions?
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Aye, all of them. And all their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep and cattle, and cats and dogs—all gone.

Well, where’s the fun in that?
Wug

Post by Wug »

Some people measure paint with a syringe.

With a recipe calling for 2% and 3%, your best bet is to mix a two to three ration of the red brown and the grey then take an easily measured amount of that and mix it with 19 times that amount of the main color.

Mike
Cydonia

Post by Cydonia »

Yeah, that was my third thought.

Another way would be to measure out your mixing jar in marks of 10, 20, 25, 75, 100, etc. That way, you can pour an accurate amount much quicker.
Ah...What does it do?

Do? It kills the enemy.

All of the enemy?

Aye, all of them. And all their wives, and all their children, and all their sheep and cattle, and cats and dogs—all gone.

Well, where’s the fun in that?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

All of my paint recipres are ratios like this. I use gradiated droppers and count the drops as I am adding them. It really goes faster than you think it will.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Devin

Post by Devin »

I use those small plastic cups used to dispense medication. They have markings on the side for measuring out in various amounts, and are fairly inexpensive at drug stores.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:All of my paint recipres are ratios like this. I use gradiated droppers and count the drops as I am adding them. It really goes faster than you think it will.

Kenny
Me too.
Abolish Alliteration
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

I swipe used hypodermics at the vet, wash out any remaining medicine in them and just use the markings on the side. Modern hypos all have the needles screw off and they're tossed separate.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
Jawarob

Post by Jawarob »

Devin wrote:I use those small plastic cups used to dispense medication. They have markings on the side for measuring out in various amounts, and are fairly inexpensive at drug stores.

You can get multiple sizes of those small plastic cups (and lids) at places like Party City. Prices are reasonable. Lids can be used to seal the containers or on their own as shallow "pallettes" for glue or paint.

They will hold solvent based paints... For a while, but they get soft.

I recommend against using them for straight (non acrylic) thinner. Don't ask me how I know this.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Abolish Alliteration