Help needed in finding epoxy to fix a cold cast prop!!!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DarKev

Help needed in finding epoxy to fix a cold cast prop!!!

Post by DarKev »

Hello Folks

I trying to fix some mold issues in a COLD CAST METAL Prop The thing is split into two halves and even with sanding (a ton of sanding) there are still gaps. I was thinking of just simple epoxy putty but given the cold cast aspect of the piece I was wondering if there is something different I should use.

Thank You!!

DarKev
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Whenever I have gaps to fill I use Super glue. How much I use depends on the gap I need filling. Since I don't know your situation I suggest using a small amount on one area to see how it works.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If you did the casting or know what the metal powder was that was used, mix that with either a clear epoxy or CA to fill the gaps, if you want the surface to match.

-Rog
DarKev

Post by DarKev »

I would try the superglue trick but the gaps vary in width too much, so I thought I need something thicker. I am also not worried about matching I'm painting the thing anyways. I am just worried about the putty sticking to the piece.
Last edited by DarKev on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why would one buy a "NEW" Multi_Million Dollar Management Information System that can't do processes that the old system did correctly?? Answer - Someone in Upper Level Administration got a "GIFT" (Unknown Author)
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Oh, well in that case any epoxy or autobody filler would do it. When I want something strong I bust out the JB Weld.

-Rog
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

JB Weld would be my pick too.
Abolish Alliteration
DarKev

Post by DarKev »

Thank You ALL for suggestions, GREATLY Appreciated!!!

DarKev
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

Kylwell wrote:JB Weld would be my pick too.
JBweld would be good too. It dries very hard. Since the piece is metal it shouldn't attack anything.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!