Perfect Plastic Putty

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Perfect Plastic Putty

Post by TD1701 »

Has anyone used this product, and what is your opinion of it? I was at my LHS which is closing soon I'm sorry to say, and saw it on display. I want to know if it is any better or, about the same as any other putty?

Tom
gsb5w

Post by gsb5w »

I've never heard of it so I'M not any help.
E-Dub

Post by E-Dub »

I never heard of it either but the reviews on Amazon are good for what that's worth.
PITHY SAYING TO BE ADDED LATER
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, the only review that I had seen was a youtube video but, it was from the manufacturer. Was looking for an independent review.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stLzShlnrEk

Looks like any tube filler, but with water cleanup/thinning, so that's nice.

-Rog
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I've seen it mentioned a lot of times in Scale Aircraft Modeller International, and they seem to think it's great.

Not a direct review, since I've never seen it around, but some good news.

Or, get some, try it and let us know!

Kev
Ant

Post by Ant »

Being acrylic based, it tends to disintegrate if wet sanded, however dries really hard, so dry sanding can be a problem. Does dry quick though and useful for blocking in...
Tankmodeler

Post by Tankmodeler »

Ant wrote:Being acrylic based, it tends to disintegrate if wet sanded, however dries really hard, so dry sanding can be a problem. Does dry quick though and useful for blocking in...
So. Perhaps not so perfect??
The future is in your hands. Build it!
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I use it. Best applied using a syringe. Smooths into cracks and along seams easily using your finger, brush, or a cotton swab. Cleans up with water. Dries fast and hard so sand within a half hour or so. Water can make it dissolve again so not the best for wet sanding.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
iSteve

Post by iSteve »

Easy stuff to work with and sands easily enough. It's a lot thinner than some of the other putties I've worked with - which is nice. Comes with an applicator that you can open to a very small diameter making it easier to apply to smaller gaps and seams. You can even apply it with a syringe. Smoothing it out with water can save your detail that would otherwise be taken from sanding. No shrinkage that I saw.

I like it.
For 15 francs more, I can put a can of sardines on your chest.
jake88

Post by jake88 »

I use this. Its a nice 2 part epoxy alternative to Aves. Its cheap and dries smooth, no shrinkage and can be sanded. Its a great back up putty.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Epoxy-Wood ... OAIP2.aspx
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I love it. If I'm not looking to add strength this is great. It's similar to acrylic modeling paste which is my filler of choice. This is more sticky than acrylic modeling paste and sets up more quickly. It's possible it provides a little strength because it polymerizes, not sure. I observed no shrinkage when it dried. I found it to be sandable and paintable. Water clean up is a huge bonus for me.
"Everyone has their illusions, far be it from me to take away yours." - Mok, in the film "Rock 'n Rule"
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

I used it on my current struggle, er, model (the Jupiter/Vanguard launch tower kit). Lots of filling needed there!

I had to pre-paint many of the parts due to the color scheme. This left some gaps between parts. I tried my old standby, Tamiya gray and white putties, but with the red and white scheme both would show up even after a repaint.

My solution, since I had some I wanted to try, was to tint the putty with Tamiya red paint and use that. Worked great! It was close enough in color when dried that a light coat was all that was needed to match the color.

I had to do something similar with my TOS 1/1000 E when it had a gravitic encounter with the floor after decaling. Even the most careful gluing left a really visible crack right at the nacelle so I mixed some base paint with white glue and that worked out really well. Filled the gap evenly and matched the color without the need for extensive spot sanding, priming and repainting.

Kev
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

I have gotten very good advice about Perfect Plastic Putty in other forums so I ordered it and am awaiting it to arrive and see if it is that good.

As said by other modelers the main advantages is that it is water based so you can apply it and then level it easily with a damp rag (or even the finger) and that it doesn't shrink after dry. It is only for small fixes like seams though.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Looked on the internet this weekend and it's listed as being sold at Sears and Walmart both for 12.44 a tube.
Normal?? What is normal??
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

irishtrek wrote:Looked on the internet this weekend and it's listed as being sold at Sears and Walmart both for 12.44 a tube.
Not in stores though, it's through third parties on their sites, like how on Amazon you have to be careful and check that you're actually ordering FROM Amazon now. Guess everybody's doing the "marketplace" thing.

-Rog
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Rogviler wrote:
irishtrek wrote:Looked on the internet this weekend and it's listed as being sold at Sears and Walmart both for 12.44 a tube.
Not in stores though, it's through third parties on their sites, like how on Amazon you have to be careful and check that you're actually ordering FROM Amazon now. Guess everybody's doing the "marketplace" thing.

-Rog
Isn't that false advertisement if they don't carry it in the stores even though their web sites say they do???
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Taking the Walmart example specifically, I don't see anywhere that says it's carried in stores, only that you can order it and it's sold by whatever "marketplace seller" it is.

On another forum people were getting excited that you could pre-order the new Hasbro Iron Man helmet from Amazon, but it was actually a third-party seller and they were selling what will be a $99 helmet (and free shipping from Amazon itself when they get it) for $125 + $25 shipping.

Gotta be vigilant.

-Rog
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

I first learned about this stuff from Trekworks YouTube videos, and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. I bought some of it and I use it (it is British made). It works great and I like it a lot. Megahobby.com carries it. I use it for medium gap work, and now use Tamiya putty for smaller seam work. Vallejo Acrylic Plastic putty is also similar, but thinner, and works great also.
Thomas E. Johnson
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote: I use it for medium gap work, and now use Tamiya putty for smaller seam work.
Funny... I just purchased it to try as a replacement for Tamiya!

:)
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote: Vallejo Acrylic Plastic putty is also similar, but thinner, and works great also.
Is this sold in hobby shops and if so does hobbytown carry it or is it also sold on line???
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

irishtrek wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote: Vallejo Acrylic Plastic putty is also similar, but thinner, and works great also.
Is this sold in hobby shops and if so does hobbytown carry it or is it also sold on line???
Some shops carry it. You can order it from Megahobby also. It is a regularly stocked item for them.
Thomas E. Johnson
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

If it helps, I bought mine at eBay fro $8 and plus $5 shipping for my country (Brasil).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191890204875?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

:8)
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

NCC1966 wrote:If it helps, I bought mine at eBay fro $8 and plus $5 shipping for my country (Brasil).

For anyone in the U.S., there are cheaper ones on eBay, and not from China.

-Rog
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

NCC1966 wrote:If it helps, I bought mine at eBay fro $8 and plus $5 shipping for my country (Brasil).

From what I saw it's sold on amazon for 9.00 and free shipping, and free is a very good price.
NCC1966

Post by NCC1966 »

irishtrek wrote:

From what I saw it's sold on amazon for 9.00 and free shipping, and free is a very good price.
Free shipping only for USA citizens. They do not ship free international.

:(
z28Barry

Post by z28Barry »

It has the same properties as Spackle.
Clogs up sandpaper and can't wet sand it.
If you try to wet sand it, all your hard work will be undone.
I have set my 2 tubes aside and will go back to 2 part spot putty.
WedgeCharlotte

Post by WedgeCharlotte »

It applies great but shrinks a lot and sanding it sucks. I've gone back to Mister Dissolved Putty for the applications I was trying to use it for - yes that shrinks too but at least I can sand it decently with just a little care afterwards. It also tends to to dry up at the tip badly for me, so you have to dig hard putty out of the tube before getting to the still wet stuff.
Brian Ludden
Wonderfest crew
http://www.wonderfest.com
Go Panthers!
http://pantherfanz.smugmug.com
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

So you guys are saying it should be called So-So Plastic Putty... :-k

-Rog
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

WedgeCharlotte wrote:It applies great but shrinks a lot and sanding it sucks. I've gone back to Mister Dissolved Putty for the applications I was trying to use it for - yes that shrinks too but at least I can sand it decently with just a little care afterwards. It also tends to to dry up at the tip badly for me, so you have to dig hard putty out of the tube before getting to the still wet stuff.
But can't it be spread using ones finger tips and if so then why would you need or want to sand???
And as I understand it perfect plastic putty can be thinned with water so why not just moisten the tip with water??