base medium

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

KLINGONSNIPER617

base medium

Post by KLINGONSNIPER617 »

I'm trying build a version of the Klingon bird of prey from scratch. What would be a good medium to work with? Foam, clay....extra. I've used balsa before. Your input is appreciated

Thanks
Eric
Jeff Herne

Post by Jeff Herne »

I guess it depends on several factors...size, strength requirements, shapes, etc.

I typically do thin wings from Lexan sheet covered with styrene to accept scribing, panel lines, etc.

Hulls and fuselages are a mix - again it all depends on the shape and strength requirements.

J
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Jeff makes some good points -- the more you tell us, the better!

Budget, desired final size, planned use (like: gaming, or yard toy, or museum display) are all going to have an effect on the answers you are going to get... and their usefulness! :8)
________
Joe Brown
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Besides the base material, anything with any dimension more than 18" tends to be very difficult to maneuver on the workbench. So making the various components, not just a sub-assembly, but easily assembled and dis-assembled is critical. Because then you can both construct them and detail as individual components. Fortunately, the KBoP lends itself easily to doing this. And its not like it takes heroic effort to build sub-assemblies that can come together just before painting. Just some planning, instead of gluing separate framework parts together, you'll need to build little sockets. Sometimes this is just a sandwich of sheet styrene. But by not gluing one main component to another, you can work on them separately as long as is feasible.
AbsoluteSciFi

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Medium to work with... hum...

I like foam. But in the studio model of the Bird of Prey, they used acrylic sheets for the main structure, and the base of the wings and main body. the original Klingon D7s had a resin hull. They were designed to look very different. Point is, to decide what to use as a medium, find out how you need the model to look, then assign what is best for the task.
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Foam is suited to curves and sheets are suited to flat-faced objects. So use a hybrid of the two, or else use a paper model of the KBoP as a template. There is a very nice one that is very accurate out there on the web.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!