scratchbuilding a canopy....HELP!

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

Lonnie Sweet

scratchbuilding a canopy....HELP!

Post by Lonnie Sweet »

Hi Guys, I need a little help with instructions on building a canopy. Are there any online guides or tutorials, or even words of advice. I think its a a case of overthinking something, but I want it to be similar to an x-wing style canopy but sleeker. I just can't seem to come up with the how or even where to start.
"There is no charge for awesomeness"
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I guess the first place to start would be to decide if it's going to be made up of flat panels or if it's going to be curved in some way. Panels are easier, but with a simple curved shape you can do the old trick of heating up some clear plastic and smooshing it down over your mold. The next step up would be vacuum forming...

-Rog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The only times I've done it were for vacuforming (or thermoforming my own work). I'd build the master, attach to a base which could easily be discerned when looking at the vac piece. Symmetry is the really tricky part (as usual). For a frame and panel type, you probably still want to make a buck (blank master) and then place your framing parts over that - styrene strip works best, I've found. Then you can cut and place panels on the inside - or work the opposite way where you place all the clear bits temporarily on the buck and then frame that.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

PetarB did an awesome job of making a custom canopy, detailed here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... opic=28650
________
Joe Brown
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Joseph C. Brown wrote:PetarB did an awesome job of making a custom canopy, detailed here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.p ... opic=28650
PetarB is a genius. I wish he'd get back to work on that Crusher Joe ship that he'd started a while back. That little gem was too cool for words :)
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen