New Guy seeks Engine/Thrust Bells

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

ndoyle

New Guy seeks Engine/Thrust Bells

Post by ndoyle »

New to the forum, and breaking into scratchbuilding/kitbashing!

My previous experience is some armor and aircraft kits, a long time ago, and wargaming minis - scifi, mainly, 6/15/28mm - but it's been a while since I put paint to metal or glue to plastic...

'Realistic' spaceship models have been strong in my imagination of late, and since I've finally cleared off my workbench, it's time to start making something.

(By 'realistic' I mean 2001/2010, Attack Vector: Tactical, some of Winchell Chung's artwork (WarpWar, primarily). Things that are, in general, based on what we know/think would work, and/or inspired by Real Space. Lots of trusses, nuclear engines, radiators, fuel tankage, etc.)

I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with a consistent scale - or any scale, at the moment. A lot of that will be driven by what parts I can find, and whether or not I end up using said models for gaming. For the moment, 1:288/300 is looking attractive. I'm planning on using a lot of space station kits for crew/cargo sections, things like that. Pre-cut trusses are neat, but expensive...

What I need to find first, though, are engine bells. Anybody know of any sources of them? I don't mind picking up cheap kits to get some, and my needs for quality aren't terribly strong, but if there's something like...a box or bag of these things, I'd love to know about it.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I've used a lot of pen parts for engine bells- I don't remember an exact model, but browse the office supply store and see what turns up.
I also found a dollar store game set with a mother lode of ridgy cone shaped pieces in styrene. Keep your eyes open!
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Welcome to the boards! Winchell Chung has been known to hang out on theses boards - his user name: Nyrath.

For engine bells, consider plastic airgun pointed pellets. The metal ones are also usable, and only marginally harder to glue - given the odd variety of plastics out there!

Go to Google and do a search for plastic airgun pointed pellets, and then select images, and you'll get an idea of what I mean.
________
Joe Brown
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Ndoyle, welcome to the boards! :)

Engine bells - have you checked out Da Store (as some of us call the SSM store)? John and Linda carry some very nice detail kits at very good prices.

Dollar and i-Party type sores are your friends. They carry eclectic cheap stuff that can be carved to suit with no price-based guilt. The white screw caps from things like mouthwash might serve, also.

If you need smaller sizes you can always chuck some plastic rod into your electric drill and use files to shape. I used an old Exacto blade for this to shape a nose-cone. Now, I only wanted one, and so long as I got something decent I wasn't too picky about contour - that might make it a bit tougher.

Tell your spouse and family to be on the lookout for stuff, but be very specific or you'll get buried in stuff you can't use and don't want. :)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
tetsujin

Re: New Guy seeks Engine/Thrust Bells

Post by tetsujin »

ndoyle wrote: What I need to find first, though, are engine bells. Anybody know of any sources of them? I don't mind picking up cheap kits to get some, and my needs for quality aren't terribly strong, but if there's something like...a box or bag of these things, I'd love to know about it.
Gundam modelers are crazy for thrusters, so there's all kinds of cheap plastic parts from Japanese manufacturers, and a growing collection of machined aluminum parts as well. A lot depends on what size you're looking for - but generally I like the Kotobukiya ones better than the Wave ones. As mentioned, a lot of these parts are also available at SSM.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

here's the pages from the Starship Modeler store that list the number
of engine bells, and other thruster types they carry.

I've used both the Kotobukiya and Wave engine bells and the
Kotobukiya releases tend to be a little more detailed, but they're
both pretty good.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ ... gory_id=76
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Another source for burner cans is HLJ. They carry the same selection as SSM.
http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYP-103
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Don't forget Alder's Nest: http://www.hlj.com/product/ADNANE-0013

I've also picked up various real-space kits on sale for their burners.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Snap space shuttle kits are plentiful and cheap- each has 3 SSME bells and two smaller thrusters. For trusswork, look at model railroad kits. Two favorites of mine are Walthers Modern Conveyors set-
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3518
And an N scale industrial building with a lot of trusses. There are also bridge kits:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/atl/atl2546.htm
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Your timing is pretty good. Easter is coming. Another good source for engine bells are plastic Easter eggs. Unfortunately, there is no associated Engine/fuel-turbine section and its associated piping, but that can either be hidden and/or implied inside the main body of the ship.
ndoyle

Post by ndoyle »

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions - looks like the SSM store has, well, bags of burner nozzles! Perfect!

(Now, for the paycheck to come through...)

Side question - what would be the appropriate forum for talking about the marking and ownership of fictional, 'realistic' spacecraft?
1138thx

Post by 1138thx »

Plastic Communion cups
Throw me the idol...I throw you the whip!
No time to argue Senor!
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

ndoyle wrote:Thanks very much for all of the suggestions - looks like the SSM store has, well, bags of burner nozzles! Perfect!

(Now, for the paycheck to come through...)

Side question - what would be the appropriate forum for talking about the marking and ownership of fictional, 'realistic' spacecraft?
This one, general sci-fi, or on the bench.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.