1/2 scale Medical Frigate;need kit list for studio scale

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jpolacchi

1/2 scale Medical Frigate;need kit list for studio scale

Post by jpolacchi »

This is another subject of interest,the "Medical Frigate from ESB. Building a "studio scale" is TOO massive for me. If I can find the same/similar (most kits) in 1/2 scale (or possibly smaller-1/4 scale; 1/144 scale kits) I think I can swing that both financially and "space wise". I'm S^?%#@^*!t at I.Ding kits unless I have them right in front of me,"open" and can compare to photos.

I was kind of hoping to get a "cheat list",mainly at this time to see how mainly I can find in 1/2 scale(or smaller). Most of the boat hulls and submarines used for the studio scale I believe were 1/350 scale...possibly a couple in 1/700, and maybe some were 1/250 if any were made that huge?

Allot of moster sized kits were made in the late 70's and early 80's you don't find often now. I just want to see if it is going to be impossibe or not?If I can acquire most kits in 1/2 scale and leave little other fudging or scratch building of parts I can probably do this. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I wish you luck - a lot of the studio scale builders try to keep yhe donor kits secret. Some are dirt cheap on eBay and if their value becomes known the prices will spike.

I do know there is a detail piece from the MPC X-Wing fighter on the side of the drive unit, the long strip behind R2. The smaller snaptogether kit may work out to be the right size.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

"1/2 scale" means half the size of the original. If studio scale is too massive, then 1/2 scale would certainly be also.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I don't know? 1/2 studio scale would put the ship at about 4ft in length, a quarter scale version would be roughly 2 ft.So, it doesn't seem "too small", the only real challenge would be finding out if the doner kits can be acquired in the appropriate scale. Mainly 1/700 (or 1/144) and there may be a couple needing to be 1/144 scale and smaller and so on and there are more kits in that scale(and toys) that might fit the bill.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

jpolacchi wrote:I don't know? 1/2 studio scale would put the ship at about 4ft in length, a quarter scale version would be roughly 2 ft.
Okay, I understand. You meant 1/2 the size of the studio scale model, not 1/2 the size of the prototype! That WOULD be massive!
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

4ft is definitely doable....a 1/4 scale would perfect, but parts and details are getting quite small,(most all kits in 1/144 and 1/72 scale or smaller-HO scale and such) so...it may be harder to find many of the donar kits. It would just be nice to find out what the "major" WWII ships, submarines and boat hull donar kits were to research if they were even offered in 1/144 scale?
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

You're not alone with trying to find 1/2 scale kits for your project. From the math I did, an approximately 1/2 scale studio scale Tantive IV worked out to 1/350 scale AND, 1/72 scale tanks kit were well within the 10% fudge factor compared to the 1/35 scale tank kits on the Blockade Runner.

So for Episode IV subjects, equivalent kits I found are:

1/72 Hasegawa Leopold Rail run (yes, there was a 1/144 kit of the leopold at one point)

1/35 Tamiya Jagdpanther/King Tiger : Revell Germany 1/72 kits
especially the engine decks and the jacks (yes, as in a device to lift a car or a tank wheel).

Kits I did not find equivalents, and for good reason:

Aurora Sea Lab, box scale, out of production, hypothetical subject

1/25 Kenworth Semi-truck sleeper section

The aircraft carrier and battleship kits used were an odd scale 1/720 if memory serves.

If you look around on the internet, you'll find web sites dedicated to kit discussion, especially the ones duplicating studio scale. I remember one with pictures of kit sprues.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

The aircraft carrier and battleship hulls can be found in near-1:1400 scale for miniatures gaming, as I recall.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I would even consider going smaller than a 1/2 studio scale(like 1/4 studio scale), but of course going smaller,it creates more challenges. I think "in essence" to get "the look" of the medical frigate would be just as satisfying. Of course I'd like to find as many of the kits used as possibly, some however will be impossible and its either scratching it out, or fudging it. I just need to find what boat hull kits were used and to see how much I can find on EVIL BAY . I only know of a kit of two used on the frigate, and there's a plane kit in there...I think even an MPS X-Wing part of which 1/72 is easily adaptable.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I wouldn't worry about detail parts unless you can identify specific parts on the original. And even with that the average modeler won't be able to tell the difference.

Basically you are trying to busy up an area with "greeblies" and you should go with the over-all look based what is seen in the movie. My best source for small detail parts was 1/72 scale tank kits and I always kept my eye out for small detail pieces. If I had a pattern or piece that wanted to repeat, then I made a casting of that piece.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

I know this is an old thread, but if you are still working on this have you tried the sites linked below?
Great info on studio scale models.
You may have to sign up for some of the sites to get all the good info.

http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/foru ... m-699.html
http://www.studioscalemodelers.com/foru ... -1244.html
http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthre ... 026&page=3
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240128
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t= ... -NEBULON-B
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t= ... -NEBULON-B
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Not studio scale, but big nonetheless... http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=89268
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.