Team Mid/West

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

did you get it??? please tell me you have it!!! :shock: millennium?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

No worries, I have it. :D And I will probably start working on it as soon as I get back home from my parents' house. Man, I love what has been done so far! I'm going to make a cockpit for it and possible a small interior, at least. Maybe a lighting system, seeing as how I have a huge number of LEDs and several battery packs I can choose from.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

it'll be interesting to see how it transforms. i had one idea on how it would go, but now we'll see how it veers of a new tangent. i'm working on saving for wonderfest because of this. i've never gone. it'll be cool to be part of something on display.
MillenniumFalsehood

I've decided to work on it today. That long piece of ship decking reminded me of deck plating, and I think I can make a short hallway into the bowels of the ship leading away from a bubble canopy cockpit in the front. I'm not sure if I want to make the cockpit on the nose or in the middle, though I'm leaning toward the middle.

I haven't touched it yet, but that's mainly because I've been busy with other things.

raser13

Post by raser13 »

so hows it looking??
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

want to see please post pics :D :D :D :D :D
raser13

Post by raser13 »

any update shots??
MillenniumFalsehood

Patience, my friend. I've been plugging away at this and that section, and when I have some decent shots I'll post them. :)

I do think I can tell you what I plan on doing with it, though. My intention is to create a detailed interior, and with my speed at doing detail work I don't think this is such a tough goal. I've decided that there will just be a simple corridor to a door at the end leading to the engine room. There will also be decking leading to a crawlspace under the cockpit with a hatch of some sort. I've got a solid picture of where this will go in my head. The cockpit will be set at 1:48 scale. If I don't finish it up, I'll at least make it so that it can be inserted into the hull later.

Also, I've begun working on the engines, and I'm going to add a missing panel with exposed engine under it. I'll be including duplicates of the major pieces I use in case the next person down the line wants to do the same thing.
Last edited by MillenniumFalsehood on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MillenniumFalsehood

This is just to give you guys an idea of how fast I can work when I'm a) under a time constraint and b) have complete creative freedom.

I've finished building the exposed engine. :D I think you guys are going to like the results:

Side view and front view of the engine. I had a tone of fun crafting this little guy from a 1:32 F-16 engine can. The piping and such are all inspired by real life aircraft engines, to give it maximum realism. Here's the framework that surrounds it. I might add more copper wiring around it, but not too much as I don't want to block line of sight to the interior.

I cut out the missing panel from the exterior before I started. This way I could make sure it all fit in there right. It took a lot of adjusting and working with the supports that hold the engine in place before I was satisfied with it. And here it is all together. Another angle. I might put conduit leading into the engine to greebles on the hull, though I will probably leave that to the next guy. For now, I'm calling that done. I'll probably paint it tomorrow.

The cutout for the cockpit. I'll probably block this in tomorrow evening after work and my workout. Let me just say, I HATE whatever plastic the upper hull was made from... It stung my eyes badly to cut into it, and I don't think I'll ever get that smell out of my nose. It's probably Revell's plastic, as I've smelled it before. In any case, I'm done for the evening. Look for more pics tomorrow. :)

raser13

Post by raser13 »

dang that engine looks amazing! now i'm really glad that i didn't seal the engines up before i sent it off. :shock: glad to see that you were able to do something with the engines. they really needed it. i just couldn't come up with anything.

i'm really glad you could use that dome piece. that's one of those greeblies that's been in my "find a place to use this" bin for a long time. i couldn't see a spot to use it on this but i was hopping some one could.

i can't speak for the rounded section that was on top. that was just a section that i cut off the other side to put on the flat submarine piece. the section below that is off of a uss/hms bismark model that i had laying around. after that i think it was said that the base was an old x-wing. after that engine can't wait to see what you do with the cockpit.
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

Looking good!!!
Great work on the engine detail.

(But, I think you put the Transcanubulator valve in backwards. :D )
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Loachnut wrote:Looking good!!!
Great work on the engine detail.

(But, I think you put the Transcanubulator valve in backwards. :D )

:D :D :D
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
MillenniumFalsehood

I got some work done on the cockpit today. It's not done yet, but I figure after tomorrow evening I'll have it pretty much finished. It just took so long to figure out what I wanted to do with it. At one point I even had the notion to switch the scale to 1:72, but the details on the engines and the cockpit wouldn't have worked in that scale. So it's staying at 1:48.

I started with the chair. It's nothing special at the moment, but after I add some piping and a control console, it should look pretty spectacular.

The cockpit tub from the right and from the left. Those cutouts will be filled with circuitry and greebles, and I think maybe a few fiber optics for indicator lights.

Here's the control deck fitted in place. It isn't glued yet, so I can work on the underside and paint it up. There will be a ladder going down so the pilot can access the future maintenance hatch on the forward wall or head back into engineering to work on the generators.

And here's how it all looks under the canopy. Yes, it's an F-16 canopy. I'll think about modding it to make it less obvious where it came from. I'm going to probably fair it into the hull after I finish the cockpit and glue it in place.

raser13

Post by raser13 »

looking cool! can't wait to see get it all flushed out.
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

so how is it going any new pics???
also let me know when your sending it so i can give you my addy
MillenniumFalsehood

It's going fairly well, though the last several days I've had a very little time because I had to take over approximately one third the hours of another guy who got fired for being an idiot (word to the wise: don't blow up firecrackers at work or operate a garbage compactor when you're underage...). So I didn't get as much done on the cockpit as I would have liked, but I did get a bit done:

From the front, and from the back. It looks pretty nice in the fuselage.

Would you mind if I took a couple more days to get the cockpit finished up, Kalhen? I'll understand if you don't want to wait, but I'd really like to finish up the cockpit as much as I can, and they just hired a guy so I have fewer hours at work now. All I really need to do is dress up the sides some more and add a console, plus paint it. I can attach a hallway behind the cockpit after that. But if you want, I can box it up and send it to you as it is.

kalhen

Post by kalhen »

that would be perfectly fine.
could you post some pics of the full model i have a few ideas i am working on but need a frame of reference.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

so any pics of how it sits?? can't wait to see another transformation! kind of makes me think of dr. who regenerating.
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

pm me when your ready to send it out so i can give you my address.
MillenniumFalsehood

raser13 wrote:so any pics of how it sits?? can't wait to see another transformation! kind of makes me think of dr. who regenerating.
Here are some pics as it stands. First, an overall view of the model as it is now. Here are a couple of pics of the exposed engine so that you know how it all fits together: http://i.imgur.com/nnc0hMt.jpg http://i.imgur.com/InjGAh2.jpg

I'll send it out today. :) I wish I could have finished up the cockpit, but time didn't permit...

raser13

Post by raser13 »

looking great! she took a whole different direction once you got a hold of her. the whole time i had her i was thinking of a large capital ship. but this has tuned out superbly. that's the great part of this, to see what others can see in the same model.

i do love that part that's on the front of the engine! i'm building up a cut a way as a complete ship. and i'm using a cast of that part under the bussard collector domes.

http://i.imgur.com/8IsResv.jpg
Last edited by raser13 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loachnut

Post by Loachnut »

I must say, I really like the way that is turning out!!
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

anyone mind if i put a coat of primer on it????
raser13

Post by raser13 »

not me, it would help tie everything together. and i do that as i build myself, so i can see how things are working. but it's already past me, and i wouldn't have to sand it off to glue stuff on...
raser13

Post by raser13 »

so how is she looking whom ever has her?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

kalhen wrote:anyone mind if i put a coat of primer on it????
Well.... It's kinda against the rules. :D

But what are we going to do, give you a fine?? :shock:
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

i will post pics when i get her.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

so any new news on her yet?
kalhen

Post by kalhen »

not yet still waiting to find out when it will be shipped.
raser13

Post by raser13 »

so it's almost the end of another month do we know where this is? any updates? sorry if i seem crazed at asking but it's kind of like sending your kid off to summer camp and not getting any pictures or letters from them. :oops: