Team Nor'Easter

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Scotaidh

Team Nor'Easter

Post by Scotaidh »

Suggested name for the NE team ... other suggestions are welcome. :)

We could also just go with Team Knee (NE) ;)
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

So, this is us, unless anyone else wants to join us prior to New Year's day. :)

Proposed rotation, unless anyone wants it changed:
1. Scotaidh in RI starts the model, and sends it to Prince of Styrene in MA
2. Prince of Styrene in MA sends it to Gundamhead in ME
3. Gundamhead in ME sends it to Lonewolf in MI
4. Lonewolf in MI sends it to Scotaidh in RI
5.Scotaidh in RI sends it to Prince of Styrene in MA
6. Prince of Styrene in MA sends it to Gundamhead in ME
7. Gundamhead in ME sends it to Lonewolf in MI
8. Lonewolf in MI finishes the model and arranges for the model to show up at WF.
Dimitry
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I think that works. I can see if one of the CoMMiES can take it to WF '15.

I have a question, though. If each participant is supposed to have the model for a month, that means we'll still be tied up with work in August, three months AFTER WonderFest is over.

Do we want to axe the "two rotation" idea? That would get us done at the end of April, and I can make arrangements to ship directly to someone from the CoMMiES to take the kit to WonderFest on May 30-31, 2015.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
M3

Post by M3 »

Or you could just take two two-week turns each...
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Hey guys. I'm up for being a part of Team Nor' Easter.
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Welcome aboard, Ignatz! :-)

With 5 members, I think once around is OK - I suggested it when we had 3 members, but now I don't think we need the second time around.

Anyone remember how long each person had with the original Traveling Model?
Dimitry
Prince of Styrene II

Post by Prince of Styrene II »

Yea, once around & two weeks per modeler seems good to me.
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
==========================
"No, you're not eating cereal for supper!"
"But, Mommy, it's Star Trek & it's only for a limited time!"
"I like what you did with your A-hull."
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Works for me! And a January start gives me time to clear the bench of my current projects.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

That sounds great. I'm really excited about this project. Can't wait to see what kind of monster we come up with! :D
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

So . . . . . have we started yet?

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:So . . . . . have we started yet?
Yup. I had started a couple of different things, to give me the option of picking the one I liked best, or that seemed to be going the best. Then I went to the Isle of Wight for a week and got back last night, late. Today was all about getting my head back in RI ... but I don't return to work until next week.

I'd planned to send it out at the middle of January - I'll undertake to have it in the mail it to Prince of Styrene by the 17th.

No thongs this time, I promise.
Dimitry
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Very cool! Looking forward to the build!
Hey, I need to be put into the rotation somewhere. There's a couple of people in my general area, so whatever makes the most sense, or cost the least in postage...
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I'll start looking for it to arrive for my "modifications" around mid-February, then. That gives me more time to clear a couple small projects off the workbench and to pull my pieces-parts together.

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

ignatz wrote:Very cool! Looking forward to the build!
Hey, I need to be put into the rotation somewhere. There's a couple of people in my general area, so whatever makes the most sense, or cost the least in postage...
I think we can accommodate - anyone mind if Prince of Styrene sends it to Ignatz, and then he can send it on to Gundamhead in ME and the schedule will resume ... Anyone mind?
Dimitry
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

I'm cool with a team adding another.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Kinda cool. I have never been on end of one of these. It's going to be fun seeing what happened to it by the time I help turn it into something else and more. :8)

But I like the shorter time with each member.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb
M3

Post by M3 »

So, what are you guys using as your base model?
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with others when we're not being cool.
- Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

We could tell ya, but then we'd have to kitbash ya. :shock: :P

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

I understand one team is using a P-38 Lightning ... I have one I could toss into the box, if anyone thinks it could be useful.
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Throw in whatever you want, but remember . . . the rest of us will be adding, too. I've got an F-15C that I've been using for parts for a couple years that's probably gonna become fodder for whomever is after me.

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

All-righty-then! :) I am happy to report that the Lake Effect is safely in the hands of the Prince of Styrene, as of noon today. :)

I'd post pics of what I did so far, but for two reasons -
A - it'd give the game away
B - my camera is broken

Ignatz, you now need to pm your address to Prince of Styrene so he can send it to you by the end of the first week of February, and we'll keep this happy little ball of styrene bouncing on its way! :-)

I must say, I oddly feel as if a load is off my shoulders. I say "oddly", because I didn't feel this way about Grabthar's Hammer ...

:D

Now, there's a name for a kit-scratch-bash - the 'Oddly Duckling' ,,, <ducks>
Dimitry
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

That's great news. Can't wait to see what's cookin'!

PM on its way. :D
Model ON!
Prince of Styrene II

Yea, I have Lake Effect!! Had quite the nice visit when Scotaidh came up to my humble abode to drop it off, haven't seen the bloke in years!! Nice to see ya again, buddy!

Anywho, to be honest, I didn't touch the thing for a week. Life was just too busy for me. But yesterday & today I had the chance to play around. I added a bit of interior greebles & sparkles to the engine bussards (for lack of a better term) as well as started adding on the cockpit canopy. I also added some landing pads. I hit a snag when I ran out of CA, so a trip to Wally World is needed. There seems to be a great space for a BFG of some sorts on the underside, but I don't know if I have the good parts for that yet. I'll have to check my Gundam stash. I could probably work on some a bit tomorrow before work, but we'll see. The impending snow storm out here may dash those hopes as I may be shoveling out before I leave. (Yea, snow... Lake Effect... the irony isn't lost on me.)

I'll see about holding on to it for another week for some more fun & then I can pass it on to Iggy.
"Hold the weapons Daddy, I'm going to go get my monkeys." My daughter, The Duchess of Styrene
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Hey, Andy - right back atcha with being good to re-connect. :-) It was good to see all three of you - your daughter, and your girlfriend. I hadn't known about the latter, and yowza - Sam has indeed grown! She's quite a lot taller than when I saw her last. :)

When you get a spare moment, Andy, could you please post some pics of Lake Effect? As I mentioned, my camera seems to have "gone to its reward", so I wasn't able to take or post anything. :-(

I just had a thought - have you seen these Altoids boxes? Not the top-opening ones we all know and love, these are end-opening ... they're a great shape and size to make Gundam-style rocket boxes.

The mints are pretty good, too. :wink:
Dimitry
Prince of Styrene II

Scotaidh- Yea, when you left it kinda dawned on me that I didn't recall ever telling you about the GF. We've been dating for a couple years & she moved in this past fall. Things are good, I can't complain. As for Sam, yea, grown quite the bit, eh?? When did you see her last, in '07? Egads, she's 13 now!! 14 in March!! Heck of a difference from being in her car seat in the minivan for that WF road trip!! The little Duchess of Styrene is all growed up!

I must apologize for not posting since last week. There was a blizzard out here, which forced me to stay at work overnight, plus the usual mayhem of life, it's somewhat rare if I can actually pull out my laptop & get online. But I do have a few pics!! I took some before I started & a few after I finished, so there's some progress shots, so to speak. Well, what I was presented with was essentially a fighter craft, with the cockpit taken from the Snowspeeder. The build isn't too much larger than that, though what makes this one interesting is the two flashlights on it for engine pods. There's the bussards, of sorts, so I'm thinking maybe it's an atmospheric/low altitude orbit fighter? But what's really kinda cool is that it's round! Check it out!!

Here's Scotaidh's present:
The bottom dome wasn't attached, but I immediately liked the idea of having that bottom lip sticking out. The nooks in the front could be filled with machinery bits, I figure.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_0916.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_0917.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_0918.jpg

And here's what Iggy is getting:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_1015.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_1016.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff5/ ... G_1017.jpg
I glued down the bottom dome, added landing feet, the guns, some tiny thruster nozzles on the underside, the E-A sensor dome assembly (yea, going with the whole dome theme) plus I added an interior to the bussards with some baby bottle caps, aluminum foil & a greeble bit on the cap. I though about a BFG of some kind in that nice, gaping hole on the bottom, but I ran out of time. There's the aft part of a canopy & the anarchist in me likes the face that it's angles & the ship is all curves. As for the guns, I was thinking that maybe someone could add some cables or mechanical bits in the space next to them. There's a lot more fun to be had for detailing, for sure! And that back, flat platform is just screaming for something to be mounted, IMO.

Anyway, have fun, Iggy!!
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Yow! That looks AWESOME! I've gotta start thinking about how to riff off of this. What a great start. Can't wait for this beast to show up at my door!
Model ON!
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Hmmmmm. That's giving me ideas. Looks like I need to go through the parts boxes/drawers before this reaches my house. I have some bits and pieces in mind that would work in some areas.

What scale are we thinking of for this? That would give me a better idea of things to add. Also, any specific "function" or "class"?

PM me with any info y'all might have (to keep some of this hush-hush). :wink: :P

Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

Lonewolf wrote:Hmmmmm. That's giving me ideas. Looks like I need to go through the parts boxes/drawers before this reaches my house. I have some bits and pieces in mind that would work in some areas.

What scale are we thinking of for this? That would give me a better idea of things to add. Also, any specific "function" or "class"?

PM me with any info y'all might have (to keep some of this hush-hush). :wink: :P
Snow-speeder scale ... I'm guessing in the 1/48 - 1/32 range
Dimitry
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Okay! That works well with a lot of what I've got. Thanks!

Gundamhead

Post by Gundamhead »

Lonewolf wrote:Okay! That works well with a lot of what I've got. Thanks!
Unless you want to change the scale to 1/250000. Anything goes is the point.
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." -Jayne Cobb