Team Hosers! (or whatever...)

The Travelling Model Project is back! Talk about it here.

Moderator: Moderators

TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Looking good, John.

The wing (fin?) tip looks odd cantering off to one side. Thiniking it needs an opposite or even a "hinge" to make it appear as a control surface.

I can see pylons and weapons cascading down the fin; not elegant but typical militarizing of a civilian vehicle...

Are we consolidating the pictures anywhere, sort of a evolution slide show?

BTW John, I have an old Canon S2 (5 Mpixel?) sitting around not doing much; I found it too bulky for travel and wandering around Cons but it took great model photos with its macro setting. Would you like me to send it to you?

Also BTW, have you been able to cast the "fast turn around" parts yet?
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Mottom wrote:Sounds good, one civvi, one mil. One flashy paint job and one dull.
I can't wait to paint them!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

:paranoid:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

OK, got it sent off to Mottom today. So very sorry for the delay. Although, I am sure something broke as I was closing up the box. :( It was wrapped all nice and safe, but... I distinctly heard that horrible sound of a joint letting go. Oh well, that's what glue is for. :D

TimeScape wrote:The wing (fin?) tip looks odd cantering off to one side. Thiniking it needs an opposite or even a "hinge" to make it appear as a control surface.
The other winglet broke off. It has been glued back on (see the pics). Maybe that's the sound I heard. I came off again!
I can see pylons and weapons cascading down the fin; not elegant but typical militarizing of a civilian vehicle...
The bottom halves of the 747 wings have all the slots and such for the engine pylons, and the shrouds for the control surface actuators. It looks like it was meant for all the hard point mounting of weapons. But I used the top halves, looks cooler.
Are we consolidating the pictures anywhere, sort of a evolution slide show?
Not a bad idea. I saved all the pics from you Bill. But we should have a place where they can all be put together.
BTW John, I have an old Canon S2 (5 Mpixel?) sitting around not doing much; I found it too bulky for travel and wandering around Cons but it took great model photos with its macro setting. Would you like me to send it to you?
This is a Kodak Z740. I really like this camera. It seems though focusing in close has gone for Schlitz. This batch of pics a better. I stood back, and zoomed in. The flash still seems to wash everything out. I think a sensor (for focusing as well) is going or gone.

If you have no use for it, sure, that would be great. If nothing else, I can add it to my camera collection. It would be something like #47 or so. :shock: Let me know what you want for it.
Also BTW, have you been able to cast the "fast turn around" parts yet?
oops!! :oops:

Blappy wrote::paranoid:
All is well. :8)

Here she is, just before going into the box.

Image 18 -- Image 19 -- Image 20 -- Image 21 -- Image 22 -- Image 23

Image 24 -- Image 25 -- Image 26 -- Image 27 -- Image 28 -- Image 29

And so you don't have to jump backwards in the thread to see the other images...

Image 01 -- Image 02 -- Image 03 -- Image 04 -- Image 05 -- Image 06

Image 07 -- Image 08 -- Image 09 -- Image 10 -- Image 11 -- Image 12

Image 13 -- Image 14 -- Image 15 -- Image 16 -- Image 17 -- Timescape's Images
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

:thumbsup:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Does that ever look Sharp! I'm not sure you guys will want to send these beauties to me in a month once Mottom's had his run.... Here's hoping it goes well!
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Looking good John.

Definitely like the sleek lines.

P.S. Did you happen to get three of those F15's mixed in to the box?
Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Or, re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere and die in a fiery crash.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

NX-17000 wrote:Does that ever look Sharp!
Thanks. I like the design so much, I will build another for myself. And, I have begun the process to build one in 1/32 (the current one works out to 1/72). I said that earlier in the thread. I need a 1/32 Tornado, they make those, yay!! I need a 3/64 P-38. They make a 1/18 toy, 21st Century. But... They go for $300.00 and up, so that's out. And I also need a 1/64 747.

I'll buy the 1/32 Tornado, and scratch the 1/21.33 P-38, and the 1/64 747 wing. In fact, I drew up most of the 747 wing last night. It's just over 16" tall. :D And the P-38 is a pretty simple design. The booms being the hardest shape. But, since this is NOT a P-38, I can take a few liberties with those, so I can refine my idea a little more.

I'm not sure you guys will want to send these beauties to me in a month once Mottom's had his run.... Here's hoping it goes well!
Mottom's looking at turning the second kit Bill did into a military version. I threw in all the parts (except a 1/72 Tornado - as I only had one) for him to replicate what I did, if he chooses. I'm sure a 1/72 F-18 or maybe an F-15 could serve the same purpose.

Besides, there is still a bunch to do. I tried to get the putty as smooth as possible, but still needs much sanding. There is no cockpit interior, there are couple of holes that need to be plugged... :oops:

Mottom wrote:Looking good John. Definitely like the sleek lines.
Thanks. So many of the ships people "bash" end up looking good, don't get me wrong. But... They are so greeblied up, they look "bashed". I know in space you don't need to be streamlined and all that. But there is something to be said for looking good.
P.S. Did you happen to get three of those F15's mixed in to the box?
No, sorry. :D There is in fact 4x kits there -- 2x Revell, and 2x Monogram. I prefer the Monogram kits, but the Revells I got to steal the burner cans for the Revell 1/48 B-1B kit. And I have a few more F-15s else where in the stash too.
John Fleming
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

I think I will do some work on the second one. I went thru the parts I had set aside previously and have lots of wings. Nothing as big as a 747, but there is a 1/48 S3 Viking wing that looks promising.

Cockpits should be no problem. I have A-10, F-15, F-18 and Mig 29 cockpits in 1/72. I also have some 1/48 cockpits that could be converted to 1/72, A-10, F-4, F-15, F-18, Mig 29 and S3. But then for something completely different, there are the B-17 or B-29 cockpits in 1/48. :shock:
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Johnnycrash wrote:I threw in all the parts (except a 1/72 Tornado - as I only had one) for him to replicate what I did, if he chooses. I'm sure a 1/72 F-18 or maybe an F-15 could serve the same purpose.
I have a partially built Tornado I could send along if required; but it only has one fin...
Johnnycrash wrote:I know in space you don't need to be streamlined and all that. But there is something to be said for looking good.
Maybe the ship is an atmospheric skimmer and the 747 wing is its "keel", ie like a sail boat... :D
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

TimeScape wrote:I have a partially built Tornado I could send along if required; but it only has one fin...
I tossed in a bunch of casting of the tail fin. I just used the kits forward fuselage, just aft of the dual cockpit separation wall.
Maybe the ship is an atmospheric skimmer and the 747 wing is its "keel", ie like a sail boat... :D
That's what M3 said earlier. And he was right. I always thought of my design as being atmospheric, not space. I have an image around here that inspired me. It was in the back of my mind when I came up with this. Now to find it again...
John Fleming
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

It's here, it's here.

John

Yes the sound you heard was the fin breaking off. Good thing you threw in spares. Do you happen to have a piece of metal rod lying around? There is only one in the box. I have some around here someplace, just have to find it, haven't seen it lately.

Now, what to do? Just playing with part placement, maybe some putty and sanding. Will dig in tomorrow night.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Mottom wrote: Now, what to do? Just playing with part placement, maybe some putty and sanding. Will dig in tomorrow night.
If you guys can get the bulk of the Putty and smoothing done it would save me a lot of time come my part of the job. I just want to be able to spend all of my time doing a cool paint scheme on both.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Mottom wrote:It's here, it's here.
YAY!!! \:D/
Yes the sound you heard was the fin breaking off. Good thing you threw in spares.
Dang! Oh well. Shipping built (or partially built) kits, that's the hazard. Hopefully the old one will pop back on. But yeah, there are extras.
Do you happen to have a piece of metal rod lying around? There is only one in the box.
Hmm... I put two in. I had three, I used two, I have one left. Try looking under the flaps at the bottom of the box. It might have gotten stuck under there.
Now, what to do?
Just glue some gears on it...
John Fleming
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i love the one where he shows of his "organ"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWo4ufMkG4
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

So it's been nine days. Can we see some pictures of what you have done?
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

The contractors came to insulate my basement. The model bench had to get packed up. Not as much done as I had intended. I have only been able to work on what will fit on my lap at night sitting in the living room. Putty/sand, rinse, repeat and some work on weapons for the second ship.

The contractors are gone, back to full speed this weekend. I forgot to keep my camera out, it got packed up too. Hopefully I can find it.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Mottom wrote:
The contractors are gone, back to full speed this weekend.
Woohoo!
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

So its been more than 5 days since the last post. Any progress? Inquering minds want to know... :D
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

TimeScape wrote:So its been more than 5 days since the last post. Any progress? Inquering minds want to know... :D
Add my vote too. I want to see what I get to play with in a week or two!
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Nx-17000

I need your address.

Sorry I have not been on here.

Life kind of got in the way.

Packing up box now. Pic to follow.
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Has Team Hoser gone MIA?
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Address has been sent to Mottom, looks like he's opened it. No word after that.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

John Fleming
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Johnnycrash wrote::paranoid:
Indeed. Things have gone disturbingly quiet.

:shock:
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Mottom

Post by Mottom »

Not MIA, just PC problems. Could not down load pics from phone and could not get into Photobucket. Updated phone/PC and using Firefox now, seems to be working. Only pics I have for posting are from phone so are lousy quality. Will post more if I can get camera going. Hopefully I get this posted before it all crashes again.

Box is in route and should be arriving any day. I forgot about everything being closed Easter weekend. The Easter Bunny missed me this year. Hopefully it gets there in one piece. It already has one wing broken off, missing metal rod and the winglets are broken on the spare big wing, I only found one of them in the box. There is lots of bubble wrap so unless they are going postal on it, it should be ok.

Worked mostly on the second ship, sanding on the first ship while waiting for stuff to dry. Still lots of sanding left, sorry NX-17000, did not get it all done. Parts are sorted in bags so you might be able to see the direction I was headed, but it is all yours now.

Some decals I thought might inspire Blappy for a paint job are added. I think the first ship would look good with pin striping. :wink:

Tried fixing the broken wing on the first ship but my Gorilla glue would not hold, made resin soft. I modified a replacement wing and hopefully NX-17000's glue will hold it. There are new metal poles, they are a bit flimsy though.

I added all the photos to my album so you can see the progression in one place, hope you do not mind your pics being there. I will take them down if you wish.

NX-17000

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, involves finishing…. http://s227.photobucket.com/user/dat_mo ... ng%20Model
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

OK so how long is NX-17000 going to have it and how much time will I have? I'm going into full on Wonderfest crunch time now. That means I need to have it for as long as possible. I'll have to be stealing 30 minutes here and there to mask and paint these.

I'm just semi-panicking early to be sure I can get it done. :8)
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

- Robert A. Heinlein

- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Blappy wrote:I'm just semi-panicking early to be sure I can get it done. :8)
The panicking or the model??
John Fleming
NX-17000

Post by NX-17000 »

Blappy wrote:OK so how long is NX-17000 going to have it and how much time will I have? I'm going into full on Wonderfest crunch time now. That means I need to have it for as long as possible. I'll have to be stealing 30 minutes here and there to mask and paint these.

I'm just semi-panicking early to be sure I can get it done. :8)
How do you want to work it? My exams end the 23rd, so I'd like to have it a few days afterwards to get some real time on it. I doubt it will take much more than a week to get to you.